Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT and GRE scores

Hello,
I took the GRE two years ago in the course of applying to a masters program and I am now applying for law school for Fall 2021. I took the November test and got a 162, however my GRE score converts to a 166 LSAT according to ETS's tool. Due to extenuating circumstances (an unsanctioned bathroom break during the section break that resulted in the proctor messing around with my system and giving me warning messages that disrupted my test-taking and and then my frame-of-mind going forward) I'm fairly certain I can improve my LSAT score to at least what ETS would predict. On the other hand, I see all sorts of talk about increased application numbers this year indicating I should apply early. My question is: should I apply now using my GRE to the schools that accept GRE's with an addendum for the poorer LSAT performance? Or should I wait until I take the January test to apply with that likely better LSAT? I guess another pertinent question would be are their class profile statistics affected by my 162 even if I apply primarily with my GRE score? Thanks. I know this is a pretty singular situation I find myself in but hopefully someone has some good advice.

Comments

• edited December 2020 1952 karma

i heard from several law school adcomms that they do not generally "trust" the ets gre-lsat conversion tool. with that in mind, i don't think many schools will evaluate your application with a 166; i think they will evaluate you on the 162 (plus the gre score as is).

@"addison.sean.af" said:
    My question is: should I apply now using my GRE to the schools that accept GRE's with an addendum for the poorer LSAT performance? Or should I wait until I take the January test to apply with that likely better LSAT?

if your application (including your gpa) is strong and have a fair shot with your gre and your 162, i think you have a fair shot. you can also choose to take the jan lsat after submitting your apps and use your new score to negotiate scholarships later on.

@"addison.sean.af" said:
    I guess another pertinent question would be are their class profile statistics affected by my 162 even if I apply primarily with my GRE score?

yes, your schools will need to report your 162 because they have your score:

"If there is a valid LSAT score on the applicant’s record, we will still include it in your school’s LSAT data, even if you admit the applicant based on another test score or other criteria."
    https://www.lsac.org/sites/default/files/media/matriculant-certification-reference-guide.pdf

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

If you have a valid LSAT than law schools will take that every time over the GRE. Not only because you will need to use LSAC’s CAS system and LSAC’s policy noted above but also because the LSAT score is what is reported to ABA and also the relevant factor in US news ranking. Further, while I understand totally about the technical issues with the Flex ( I had them myself) I don’t think it looks good to say hey look I got the equivalent of a 166 LSAT two years ago with no study but then I actually studied for the LSAT and ended up with a 162. The 162 is what scores will consider for application purposes so if that isn’t a score that you feel comfortable applying with you should retake. Believe me I know and feel how competitive this cycle is daily but I know I can do better so I am retaking in January. Unfortunately you just missed that deadline but you can register for February and send in your apps sooner. Make sure to let schools you are registered for February and ask that they please wait on a decision until you have your February score.

• HappyValleyBrewerHappyValleyBrewer Core Member
    25 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" It's settled then. I'll hold off on applying for the bulk of my apps. Maybe put in an app for a safety or two right now just to hedge my bets. Thanks to you both. @FindingSage I actually had signed up already for January, I was just considering backing out, so the deadline was not missed thankfully. Good luck on your exam!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I am so happy to hear that you had registered for January and made this post before cancelling. I personally think even a few more points on the LSAT can go a long way this cycle. Good luck to you as well!