Reading Comprehension Timed vs. BR - Help with bridging the difference?

I am drilling reading comprehension and I average around -11 timed, not able to finish answer questions, to getting around -3/-4 untimed. I feel like I take forever.

Any tips on bridging the gap? Completing all passages on time? Links to your favorite resources or tips already mentioned in discussion forums?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

I'm in the exact same boat! Following this thread

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

@emmorens

Hi there!! I might just have an answer to my own question.

Today I was doing a RC drill and got -4 timed and untimed.

I would say that so far I am experimenting with either giving the passage more time or the answer choices more time, and after trying both I like giving the answer choices more time. I would say try both and see what works for you!

I am also practicing keeping a strict eye on time for each passage.

35 mins start
    Passage 1 (- 8 mins)
    27 mins remaining
    Passage 2 (- 8 mins)
    19 mins remaining
    Passage 3 (-8 mins)
    11 mins remaining
    Passage 4 (-8 mins)
    3 mins remaining
    Go back and check answers (-3 mins)

This really helped me finish all the passages on time today. I am going to practice this for the rest of the month and hopefully see my scores level out.

• BigJay20BigJay20 Member
    438 karma

this actually works but every now and then you ran into a 8-question science packed passage 4 and I'm ready to die lol

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited December 2020 905 karma

@BigJay20 you might want to try to get the 8-question passages out of the way first? I almost always do my passages out of order, to work the fewest question passage last (just in case I run out of time!!). Or the comparative passage last :p

@Auntie2020 I just tried this on the RC for PT80 and it has been the first time I've been able to make a substantive outline while PT'ing timed. !!! Those markers helped so much (and I was able to build up just a little bit of time before the last passage), to tell me not to panic - that I WAS within a proper time range. Hooray!

552 karma

@BigJay20

Honestly, lol. Those science passages are so hit and miss! Sometimes I get -0 but then usually -3 on those

edited December 2020 552 karma

@hopefulling

This is Awesome!!! I hope this continues to work for us :')

Go You!!~~~~

• EbethStudent16EbethStudent16 Alum Member
    82 karma

@Auntie2020 Thank you so much for this tip! I scored a -7 (as opposed to my normal -3/-4) on RC on PT 67 and feeling very discouraged. I think I spent too much time reading the first 2 passages so I am definitely going to try sticking to 8 minutes per passage more strictly!

552 karma

Hey @EbethStudent16 !!!!

Good luck!!

Just keep at it and it will pay off. I scored my first -3 timed and untimed. so it has been working well for me so far.

Just keep trying to implement new strategies and see what works. The worst questions are the time sink questions so keep to the strict timing per passage.

We will crush RC!

• swanganieswanganie Yearly Member
    294 karma

@Auntie2020, nice work! Very encouraging to see you made so much progress. I'm where you were 2 weeks ago, and even unable to even touch a whole passage/questions under timed conditions consistently.

Would love to learn more about how it went for you - What did you feel you liked better about leaving more time for questions over the passage? How did you use that time? What are you focusing on when you spend less time on the passage?

• Thy RainThy Rain Core Member
    99 karma

Hey if you don't have enough time to study and build your way to all 4 passages, why not do 3 passages in 35 minutes? Focus on accuracy.

For example if you focus on accuracy by giving yourself 35 minutes for all 3, you could get:
    Passage 1: 7/7
    Passage 2: 6/6
    Passage 3: 8/8

Then for passage 4, you can guess all C's and maybe get like
    Passage 4: 1/6 or 2/6

The will result in -5 or -6 on RC WITHOUT having to complete all 4 passages! Keep in mind that this will work if you are able to do all 3 passages with full accuracy. Honestly even if you miss a few in the 3 passages, you will still be able to do decently well!

Again, I don't know your LSAT goals nor when you will take the exam, but if it is in a few weeks and you still can't get to all 4 passages in spite of extra practice, I'd stick to 3 passages and make sure I aim fully understanding the passage and can find the answers with evidence to them!

It could really help! Same for LR and LG. Don't risk losing accuracy in order to get through all questions!

edited December 2020 552 karma

@"Thy Rain"
    Really good point. During BR I tend to get -2 at my lowest and -7 on a bad day, so that means I need to focus on my accuracy more and then I can start to implement this.

I am still early in my studies and will try to see what works best :) I really appreciate your input and new perspective on tackling RC. I would really like to get -2/-3 consistently timed so I have to work with speed AND accuracy. But you are also right in that accuracy comes first.

@hitmanbang

What did you feel you liked better about leaving more time for questions over the passage?
    - I think I have a good understanding of the passage, but I actually find that the question and multiple choice trips me up because of how it's worded. Giving myself enough time on the questions helps me spend time on what deciphering the question and answer choices. Once I find my answer, I like to quickly move on. Recognize time sink questions and get outta there ASAP.

How did you use that time?
    - I still try to focus on understanding the passage as much as I can. The trick is finding what works for you - more time on the passage or more time on the answer choices. I also like being able to go back to the text to make sure it's correct.

What are you focusing on when you spend less time on the passage?
    - I focus on structure, maint point, and tone. I still get main point incorrect once in a while. Today I did RC and it was -5 timed and -3 untimed. Of the -3 untimed, two of those were main point questions. I am going to try to make my own main point FIRST and then answer the question after.

Good luck! RC very much doable. Just try to find an approach that works for you!