PT80.S1.Q17 - Deep temperate lakes

BigJay20BigJay20 Member
edited December 2020 in Logical Reasoning 438 karma

Could someone help me to see if I reasoned this out properly. This test really testing my patience in life. I didn't even know lake trout was a fish.

Conclusion: If anglers are looking for lake trout in deep temperate lakes while they are partially iced over the winter, their best bet is to avoid lake trout's summer haunts and fish for the shallow parts or close to the surface.

The premise tells us that there are four seasons:
Winter-the coldest water is at the top (goldmine for lake trout)

Late Winter- the "turnover" period when the coldest water is transitioning to the bottom

Summer-the coldest water is at the bottom (goldmine for lake trout)

Fall: another "turnover' where the cold water is cold water is transitioning up

Another premise: We can find lake trout in the coldest water.

If they're partially iced over the winter, it means they're not fully cold yet for anglers to find lake trout - and if the author is concluding that they avoid the summer haunts and fish for the shallow parts, it ought to be that when the deep temperate lake is partially iced, the coldest water is still at the top, and that the partially iced status isn't a full indicator of the turnover that's supposed to happen which will transport the cold water to the bottom.

A. I thought A could work but the stimulus doesn't address anything about the ease at which we could catch them. Whether it takes me 4 hours or 30 minutes to catch, this assumption doesn't need to hold because so long as I am able to catch my fish during the time of the year when they are expected to be abundant, then I'm good. The conclusion precisely advises anglers to avoid the summer haunts if they are looking to catch any lake trout in deep temperate lakes.

B. Heavy, light, denser, we don't care. I eliminated.

C. They are only found in deep tempreature lakes? Groundbreaking. Eliminate.

D. I literally do not care about how they feed. I want to know why the author is make such a specific recommendation. If their feeding habit was connected to their ability to get caught, we would take a second look. Because it's not, we gracefully, eliminate.

E. This is the last contestant in the running towards becoming my next top answer. As they are partially iced over the winter, the expectation is that the cold water is making its way to the bottom where I can get lake trout butttttttt the author is telling me to avoid it. Why? It ought to mean that the partial ice is a false alarm and that the cold water isn't ready yet to make its way to the bottom (summer) where lake trout can be found. If we negate this, "in deep temperate lakes with the ice residue, the turnover has occurred" which will put the coldest water at the bottom. That would mean the author is sabotaging us, and destroys the argument.

This question took me a good 30 minutes to break it down but typing it out actually help. Can anyone let me know if I overlooked anything. And more important, how do you quickly attack such a heavy stimulus under time constraints.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-80-section-1-question-17/

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

You’re on the right track. As far as speed, try simplifying more.

My thought process would be:

Winter: coldest water at the top
    Summer: coldest water at the bottom
    Temp switch occurs in fall and late winter
    Trout are found in coldest water.
    If you want trout in late winter fish in the shallows.

But turnover is late winter. So… if they’re still in the shallows, turnover hasn’t occurred yet.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

When I read the stimulus, I was wondering what "turnover" was and they do tell you later on indirectly. The author assumes that turnover hasn't yet happened. If it hasn't happened, then yes, it is likely the lake trout should be near the top of the water but if turnover has happened, then they aren't necessarily near the surface. Turnover happens in fall and late winter and these anglers are trying to fish for trout in late winter when the coldest water is at the top but we aren't told exactly when in late winter this "turnover" happens