Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a hard time being consistent... Any Advice?

edited January 2021 in General 206 karma

Hello everyone,

I have been a 7sage member for a while but haven't even gone through the CC. I am a full time Electrical Engineering student and have a few jobs on campus, so I usually would be so overloaded with work that I keep pushing studying for the LSAT. Though now I am pretty much free with winter break, and my upcoming semester is very light as I am done with all my engineering courses.

I have been having a real hard time the last 2 weeks sticking to studying. I attend a pretty tough college so studying a minimum of 6 hours a day up to 14 hours is not strange to me and I have the stamina for it but focusing on the LSAT has been a struggle.

Anyone have any advice on how to become consistent, and stick to it? Anything you did to hold yourself accountable?

I feel odd asking as I know its a "motivation" thing. But I really am in for the hours to study, though every time I plan a study session I either just get distracted with random things or something gets in the way.

Thank youu in advance

Comments

• asahwhalenasahwhalen Core Member
    48 karma

I have been out of college for a year now and I remember how it was at least difficult for me as a student to get into the proper "motivation" mindset. That being said, since starting my job I have found that my studying consistency has been improved because I treat it like my job. Its something that has to get done 5 days a week. The one thing that really did help me though was that I didn't break it up along time restrictions (2-4 hours/day) but based on task. The slowly chipping away is what ends up building up to success in the end, as opposed to hitting the gas for a week then falling off.

I will say that I have taken a hiatus since my last test in October and since coming back my score has improved, there isn't a major downside in my mind to taking a break, because it does seem that improvements come from taking time off to just let everything sink in.

• BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
    edited January 2021 214 karma

@fmujahed00 said:
    Hello everyone,

I have been a 7sage member for a while but haven't even gone through the CC. I am a full time Electrical Engineering student and have a few jobs on campus, so I usually would be so overloaded with work that I keep pushing studying for the LSAT. Though now I am pretty much free with winter break, and my upcoming semester is very light as I am done with all my engineering courses.

I have been having a real hard time the last 2 weeks sticking to studying. I attend a pretty tough college so studying a minimum of 6 hours a day up to 14 hours is not strange to me and I have the stamina for it but focusing on the LSAT has been a struggle.

Anyone have any advice on how to become consistent, and stick to it? Anything you did to hold yourself accountable?

I feel odd asking as I know its a "motivation" thing. But I really am in for the hours to study, though every time I plan a study session I either just get distracted with random things or something gets in the way.

Thank youu in advance

I was kind of doing something similar to you in that I randomly decided to study for the LSAT about three weeks ago and I'm by nature focused and determined in whatever I set out to do. I studied around 6-8 hours a day for the first two weeks then kind of plateaued. I was focusing on LR and the stimulus just started to sound like giberish to me and my approach wasn't getting me anywhere.

I decided to take a day off and I performed much better after taking the day off. Now, if my studying feels unproductive I'm more open to interpeting that as me needing to take a break. Studying Logic Games has been fucking exhausting, as I won't hit my target under timed restraints, and not meeting your goals is emotionally draining. So I think that being able to see positive results from the work you put in helps you study for long periods of time. If you can find a section which you're good at, you should study that section inbetween the sections which are more arduous.

Right now I'll study anywhere from 6 hours to 1 or no hours, depending on how productive I feel studying will be.

Tl;dr: take a break if you feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall. May end up saving you time and energy in the long run.