Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Term: “Although” - 7Sage Forum

Term: “Although”

mitchell-5mitchell-5 Member
in General 100 karma

When JY says that we can disregard a statement that is preceded with the word “although”, can we literally just skip right over the statement that follows that word without reading it as if it has no effect on the argument? I know that doing so would save a few seconds, but im too OCD in making sure i read every word, feeling i might miss out on something important.

Comments

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

To me, the answer is it depends. For main point question, the part before the although/however may be part of the right answer choice. For example, "however it's not true, what they said is unwarranted, the argument above is mistaken, etc." are the main conclusions but the right answer choice will mention the other people's claim and slap the negation on it.

So, I would recommend you read the whole stimulus and when you see the switch from other people's claim/argument to the author's claim, you then can ignore the part before the switch as it won't support or be supported by the author's argument.

• mitchell-5mitchell-5 Member
    100 karma

Sorry, i think you misunderstood. I know that however indicates the switch from context to argument, but im specifically referring to the word although.

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

@"mitchell-5" said:
    Sorry, i think you misunderstood. I know that however indicates the switch from context to argument, but im specifically referring to the word although.

How could you skip a word that by identifying it, you are already aware of it and its function?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8485 karma

I think you're referring to "although" as used to introduce a concession statement. In some instances you can ignore what follows, but you need to see it in context. So you can't pretend everything following, "although" doesn't exist. You can definitely omit it initially to try and understand the stimulus more clearly, but just like everything else you need to read it, evaluate it, then decide what role if any it plays in the argument structure.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

definitely agree with @canihazJD -- "although" can note an important exception and/or qualifier. I wouldn't recommend skipping any word on the LSAT. Reading without it once doesn't hurt, but I'd still return to it and see what it does for the argument.