Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Argument Part & Method Questions

I've done everything I know to do, reviewed as many of these questions as I possibly can, but something in my brain just has a difficult time with these questions. I can usually take a Logical Reasoning section and miss anywhere from zero to two total, but something about these question types just gets me every time. If I miss something, it's bound to be one of these types. It seems that I just can't figure out what the answer choices are saying. I always narrow it down to two choices and pick the wrong one.

Is there anybody who has a secret way to solve these? Are there any unique approaches? Any tricks? I'm at my wits end. Simply redoing questions hasn't helped me. I need to break through somehow, but sometimes wonder if it's even possible.

Comments

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

Me too! I'm considering just skipping them as soon as I see them, as the 80s usually just seem to have one or two... is it worth it to just skip and spend time elsewhere?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited January 2021 8438 karma

Anytime you see an argument, regardless of the question type, you should understand the reasoning structure before you leave the stimulus. What is the conclusion, what are the premises, what are the assumptions, is this flawed? For the vast majority, if you cannot answer these questions, you have no business in the answer choices in my opinion. Skip and come back. Given this, there is no reason you shouldn't have a prephrased answer for MC, AP and Method of reasoning questions. It may not always be precise, but you should have a very good idea.

As a plan B, parse the AC like you would a Flaw AC. Is this descriptively accurate?

If you need to, practice strictly translating stimulus... es. Granting that any question type can be made difficult, generally this approach should allow you to feel like AP/Method/MC questions are free points. Added bonus: being able to call out argument components as you see them should help your performance across the entire section.