PT50.S2.Q18 - Insufficient development of the prefrontal cortex in toddlers

motunrayobbmartinsmotunrayobbmartins Core Member
edited January 2021 in Logical Reasoning 50 karma

help why is B wrong. I know why the correct answer is C. But, I read all the explanations for why D is wrong but I have a defense for all of them. The stimulus mentions that the cortex is slow to develop continuing right into adolescence. So, this means it will develop at some point during adolescence. Hence, only adults and adolescents can have these skills.
Someone mentioned, how about animals? I assume that animals can be adolescent and adults
Another explanation mentioned that adults is out of scope? Because the stimulus states “right into adolescence” one can reasonably infer that post adolescence, the cortex is developed. HELP!
Someone else mentioned how there could be some kids who are exceptions. However, that does not really work because the stimulus mentions that the cortex continues to develop into adolescence. So, doesn't this eliminate exceptional kids who develop theirs earlier

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-50-section-2-question-18/

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

I wouldn't be thinking about animals because we just aren't given any information about them so whatever you think about animals and their brains is just unfounded speculation.
    All we know from the stimulus is: toddlers have no trouble sorting things by shape but have trouble with color and one prospective reason is that their prefrontal cortex is not fully developed. We don't know what happens to the prefrontal cortex once the human is fully grown and we don't know if there are exceptions to this. We do know the prefrontal cortex is important and continues to develop as the person transitions to his teenage years but that's it.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8418 karma

B - only adults and adolescents is not supported. Without even trying to come up with some obscure exception, even the stimulus doesn't exclude toddlers from being able to do this.

You mention D but seem to be talking about B... but just in case:

D - we have nothing to determine relative importance. All we know is that prefrontal cortex development affects adaptive behavior development. Just ask yourself how important is upbringing? We don't know.

It might be helpful to look at what you wrote here. Each one of your defenses are additional assumptions you are bringing in to "help" the answer choice. The right answer is right without your help. We don't help answers. They need to prove themselves on their own merits.