Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are You going to law school?

edited January 2021 in Off-topic 70 karma

I'm curious why everyone here is interested in going to law school :)

I'll start– I want money! jk. I had a high school class where we took field trips to meet different professionals and I liked the prosecutors above all. At least on the surface, they all looked happy with their jobs and their work sounded interesting, especially the one in the special victims' unit. I also watch legal dramas, so my understanding of legal work might be a little too romantic.

Comments

• Andres BaezAndres Baez Member
    36 karma

Pursuing a legal education will give me the tools that I need to continue my passion in human rights advocacy, particularly in immigration. As much as I have witnessed the good that our American immigration system has brought to the people in my life, I have also seen its inequities and limitations, and the burdens it imposes. Becoming an attorney will grant me privileges to not only help individuals on a small scale, but to correct foundational issues within the law. I am eager, through the law, to help those who are so often overlooked and to give back to my community, helping others find hope and home as they begin their new lives.

-Straight from my PS

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

Because I have the ability to.

• blaiquebrownblaiquebrown Member
    28 karma

I was a victim of domestic violence from 2009-2011 and started working at a law firm in 2012. That's where I was introduced to the field of domestic relations (or family law). I've had a few different legal jobs since then but I find myself back in the DR world. I want to be able to help people who are in the same situation I was in that almost ruined my life.

• runningmari99runningmari99 Core Member
    10 karma

@"Andres Baez" baez, how about diplomacy

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma
    1. Career
    2. like-minded people
    3. knowledge/skill
    4. aligned talent
    5. status
    6. i want to wear a backpack again
  • cmoren21cmoren21 Member
    217 karma

As a law student focusing on health law, I hope to become an effective advocate for healthcare reform by increasing my understanding of the legal, medical, ethical, and political issue. Ultimately, I hope to work alongside medical professionals in hospitals that deal with low-income communities, work to reform programs like Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program, and help address disparities in health outcomes by advocating for minority-specific legislation through organizations like the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparity.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a lawyer. I have always loved to argue and think more in depth on almost everything. I feel I was blessed with the skills and mindset to be an attorney and that I can use that to help other people! There is so much injustice in our country and world and I feel I can make a difference.