Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of school for 7 years and don't know where to apply

Figure I'd post this in case there's anyone like me out there who can relate!

I graduated with a really poor UGPA (2.4) while studying Physics and Economics, and after graduating I worked in politics and policy, becoming deputy executive director of the largest local political organization in the country and then working in public policy after that. I'm getting 168+ on my practice tests, and, needless to say, I still don't know which schools I have a shot at getting in to. It's so much more difficult to tell where you're likely to get in the farther away you are from undergrad, making it hard to tell if you're wasting your time on any particular application.

Trying to figure out where you could potentially get in as a splitter with that kind of experience really messes with you, because there isn't a big sample size.

Not particularly looking for advice, just venting a bit and interested to see if anyone else is in a similar situation!

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I know you said you aren't looking for advice, but I'll dispense some anyway. You are, like me, an extreme splitter. And, while you are still a number of years younger than I am, you are also non-traditional. Good news, you have a shot anywhere with medians below your LSAT score when you get it. You also have excellent employment softs. Apply very broadly at any school that you think you might want to go to. I would presume that, since you have been out in the work force, you know a lot more about why you want to go back to school. That will hopefully let you decide what you want to focus on in law school and identify what schools have programs strong in that area. You also probably know more about the kind of place you would like to live in and later work in. That offers some ability to narrow things down geographically since most schools outside the top 20 largely employ regionally. Even in the top 14 certain schools might be stronger in one market or another. UVA in DC, Cornell in NYC for example. Lastly, you might know what kind of academic experiences you might want. Are clinics important to you? Is moot court, mock trial, or law review important? Do you want to get back in the swing of student life and go to major sporting events. Approaching this from around the age of 30, use your life experience and self awareness to narrow it down. You can also look up which schools have a history of being splitter friendly, which should help.

In conjunction with a very large spreadsheet and US News, Above the Law, and Princeton Review, I used my goals, interests, preferences and decided that I would apply mostly to the schools that I was most interested in and not apply to any school I was not confident would not lead down the path I wanted. I am also patient enough, even in my mid-30's, to wait it out a year. If I don't get the scholarship offers I hope for I already have a career to fall back on while I wait for the presumably easier cycle next year.

Maybe for you, entering this year no matter what is more important. But regardless, apply broadly to places you are interested in.