Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Personal Statements by People Who Got Into Harvard

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator

Hi everyone,

We've got a new blog post: Six Law School Personal Statements That Got Into Harvard.

I tried to pick essays that feel attainable. They're all well-written, but you won't find any stories of people overcoming insuperable odds, or even (with the possible exception of the last one) any personal statements by people with writerly super-powers. These are just honest reckonings by thoughtful, earnest applicants.

I hope they inspire you!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Thank you @"David.Busis" !

• RelentlessRelentless Core Member
    323 karma

Thank you for this!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@"David.Busis" Thanks for these. Many of them also have a common theme that reflects the times I think, something to keep in mind. Our readers, as is pointed out in the Sea Turtles essay, are also swayed by the currents of media, society, and politics. They are not impassive grammar checkers but people who are also concerned with the same forces and topics that swirl around us in the turbulent time. Connecting with them sometimes means connecting our stories to those same issues, or something else they can personally relate to.

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Something that surprises me a little is that some of these essays, like the turtle one, is really well written (in my opinion) whereas other essays have a lot of passive-voice (had done, was done) and were not really captivating or compelling.