Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage without PDFs

davduvdavduv Alum Member
in General 6 karma
Hello all! I'm new to 7Sage and gained access a few weeks before the LSAC disallowed the use of LSAT PDFs. I found the PDFs very helpful while they were still on the site, so I guess my question is: How are we supposed to do practice problems without the LSAT PDFs? I've been trying to watch the video explanations of the answers and pausing them so that I could do the questions myself, but I find that I'm unable to accurately time myself while I do this. Also, this method does not work for the Logic Games section, as the prompt is rarely provided in the videos.
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    The best way would've been to download the PDFs before they were removed, but since we unfortunately cannot provide them anymore, you can find a list of affordable PTs here:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2770/list-of-affordable-pts-paperback-hard-copy
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    You could also purchase the Cambridge packets.
    12637 karma
    The Cambridge packets are listed on the link I provided too!
    3462 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" don't yell at me :(
    12637 karma
    @emli1000 said:
    don't yell at me :(
    Wasn't yelling, I'm sorry :o Was just letting OP know in case they were looking for the Cambridge sets via your recommendation.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @emli1000 and @"Dillon A. Wright" We can't have another Roya situation... Friends and foes together, united and bound... Pass it to your neighbor instead of blowing up and we'll find harmony and love in the Snap Cup!
    edited May 2015 12637 karma
    @VegMeg55 said:
    We can't have another Roya situation
    SHE WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED!!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" LOL Yes, Roya gets no Snap Cup Warm Fuzzies!
  • 8 karma
    Is it against 7sage rules for someone to sell me pdf/hard copies of a PT?
    If not, does anyone want to sell me used or unused PT 39-44?

I did not find these for sale on Amazon cheaper than $10 a test.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @derek_southern yes it is against the rules (and LSAC policy)
    12637 karma
    @"derek_southern" said:
    Is it against 7sage rules for someone to sell me pdf/hard copies of a PT?
    If not, does anyone want to sell me used or unused PT 39-44?

I did not find these for sale on Amazon cheaper than $10 a test.
    Yes, it's against not only our TOS, but LSAC's as well.
    http://7sage.com/terms-of-service/

Here's a list of affordable PDFs:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2770/list-of-affordable-pts-paperback-hard-copy
    3462 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" @VegMeg55 LOL I was kidding :)
  • jim-1jim-1 Alum Member
    71 karma
    Why should it be against the rules to sell hard copy PTs? I can absolutely see the issue with sharing the PDFs, but if I choose to loan my books to a friend or resell them, what's the issue there?
  • jim-1jim-1 Alum Member
    71 karma
    Oh unless he meant a printed out PDF, yes I can see the problem there.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14060 karma
    @"jim-1" Right, that's the distinction. If you decide to buy a hard copy LSAT PT from Amazon, then whether you're allowed to resell depends on the terms on which you bought it. Mostly I'd think those are LSAC's terms (+ whomever you paid to purchase the PT). I'm actually not sure whether LSAC is kosher with a resell. It happens enough and I've never heard about LSAC enforcing, so there's some evidence. But, anyway that transaction would have nothing to do with 7Sage.

If you printed your PTs or PSets from 7Sage, then you definitely are not allowed to lend, resell, whatever. It's in our TOS and the LSAC was very strict with us about this point when it allowed us to offer PDFs. We had to track every instance of access on our servers, we printed your account info onto the PDFs itself, etc. But, apparently and sadly, I think they felt that even those terms weren't severe enough and now they've effectively forbidden us from offering PDFs.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 7965 karma
    @"derek_southern" said:
    does anyone want to sell me used or unused PT 39-44?
    There are a bunch of folks selling the hard-copy LSAC Prep test books used on Amazon :D

Alas, 39-44 are cheapest as Cambridge PDF's.

Do I need to bring up the pink eraser method again @VegMeg55 ;) ;)
  • 8 karma
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • jim-1jim-1 Alum Member
    71 karma
    Y.J., just out of curiosity, what additional requirements did LSAC apply to PDF distribution? I have significant in software design and development, so you have me curious...
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited May 2015 6866 karma
    To elaborate on the distinction between hard copy LSATs and PDFs -

The "first sale doctrine" (wikipedia it if you're not familiar) prevents LSAC from having any say about what people do with hard copy LSATs once they are purchased. In an ideal world, though, they wouldn't allow the sale or share of used stuff at all, because they think they lose potential sales that way. Digital goods allow them to step closer to that ideal world. The dynamic you see here between hard copy tests and PDFs happens across all kinds of other media - books vs. ebooks, digital game downloads vs. discs, iTunes music vs CDs, and so on.

The key is the lack of an actual transfer. When you buy a copy of a book, possession of that copy is passed to you and taken away from someone else. With digital media, that doesn't happen. It's the same reason why you hear the endless parroting in some circles about how copyright infringers are not technically thieves, as theft involves depriving someone of their property.

The argument about lost sales has varying degrees of plausibility across situations, but I think it's fairly safe to say that LSAT demand is fairly inelastic. PrepTests are absolutely necessary for most people to succeed, so I think it's pretty reasonable to say that a significant proportion of used sales by a third party correspond directly to a lost sale of a new copy for the LSAC. That being said, with PDFs already out in the wild, the trivial nature of making a PDF out of a paper copy (which is still going to be distributed), and the willingness of the vast majority of people to give rights holders the finger if it means they can get cheap/free stuff, I have no idea how LSAC could think this will allow them to recapture revenue. Dumb business decision.
  • jim-1jim-1 Alum Member
    71 karma
    And as a further extension to that, public libraries use software to manage the lending of eBooks and other digital media. The software allows only n copies of any particular ebook, CD, DVD, whatever to be "on loan" at any given time. So if a library buys 10 copies of "The Kill Artist" then only 10 copies will be in use by library patrons simultaneously. Digital loans expire just as paper book loans do, the primary difference being that expiration of the digital media is enforced by the software. The file disappears from your reader upon expiration.

It would be interesting to watch the collective heads of the LSAC explode if a public library would buy 10 copies of the Cambridge complete PT set in PDF, and start to loan them...