Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT-Flex Diminishes Raw Scale Score Theory

Matty-San247Matty-San247 Member
edited March 2021 in Logical Reasoning 33 karma

Hi so I’ve been practicing for the LSAT going on my third serious try and unfortunately the previous takes were both sat for during the pandemic which in turn is the LSAT-Flex exam. After several Prep-Tests in simulated Flex mode I’ve come to notice a recurring pattern of scoring 144-146 average- despite my better 151 performance on the full length exam. My theory at least to my premonition at best is that with the removed additional Logical Reasoning Section (the section I perform best on), could it be the case that the points accumulated are not being attributed to my overall Flex score? In other words how well of a theory is it that the curved score I am receiving is reflective of my “actual LSAT performance” granted I don’t under perform. Just a question I’d like to discuss because it is really been deteriorating my confidence walking into what will be my FOURTH LSAT take. My first score being in the low 131s (full LSAT without adequate prep), then 139 then 141 (both flexs) , when as described previously my practice score on the full length exam is 151-154 average. Please help-as I’m reaching the end of my rope.

Comments

• andycast1234andycast1234 Member
    17 karma

It might be more helpful to revisit the core curriculum, particularly the lessons you are having the most difficult time with, and go from there. I see where you are going with trying to figure out specific calculations but you will be more efficient with your time by revisiting LSAT core content than focusing on the minutiae of LSAT algorithms.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello @Matty-San247 ,
    first the lsac would not have put out the flex if there was a serious advantage as compared to the regular LSAT, but all else equal, people that were really good a LR and not good in the other sections would probably see an increase in score with the full length exam because 50% of the exam would be to their strengths. There will always be little advantages for some people and not for other and vice versa, not everyone is a clone of everyone else.
    Secondly, I would strongly recommend going back through the CC because with scores in the 130' and 140s there are some fundamental concepts that haven't been learned yet. And with the 2022 cycle using the flex style exam(3 scored sections) I the old standard way of testing is looking like the thing of the past. There still is time to learn the concepts in CC and reach your goal score for the 2022 application cycle. I would also simulate the flex exam when taking the exams, use only the three scored sections, and then treat the other section as another full LR section later. However since the exam is going to 4 sections it is up to you but that is what I did for the Flex exam. I would also stop PTing. I would go back through the oldPTs and figure out where I am going wrong and go back to the CC and go over those sections again. I have done that many times myself. And time permitting I would not take another PT until those weaknesses are strengthened.
    You got this! Best of luck in your studies.

• lsatslayer-1lsatslayer-1 Member
    edited March 2021 113 karma

Hi, I am sorry you are at a downward slope. I do think your hypothesis has some points. this is is supported by my life experience going from an 160 official LSAT to an official 153 and 159, after a long year of studying. It can be very devastating, especially if LR is the one that you count on lifting up your scores. Standardized testing is a cruel punishment for those with learning barriers, access to tutoring, loopholes with disability testing with people with twice more time (who personally confessed they don't need it)..... I am not fan, which doesn't help my motivation. Flex added, doesn't not help all.

we can't change the game, you just got to beat it, so you must make gains in RC and LG (can be done dramatically). other option would be to wait until it's paper again or when LSAC removes LG (which is supposed to happy in a few years). Goodluck and bless your studies! I'm scoring mid 165s and making my way to 170s now. U can do it!