Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Slump

Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
in General 957 karma

Title gets to the point. Recently I've found myself in a slump -- less fired up about studying, hovering around the same section averages, PT scores dipping a bit from inconsistency, etc. I only have a few PTs left and I want to make them count. I guess my question is:

Have you experienced a study slump w/ the LSAT? How'd you break it and get back to trending up? I know those are broad, loaded questions lol.

Comments

• Cravath170Cravath170 Core Member
    166 karma

Ask yourself why you're taking this exam. I do it to give my future family and friends a better life. That's all the motivation I will ever need

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    208 karma

I have had this a couple of times. It might be a sign of burnout. Take a week off and come back: if you are still experiencing a consistent slump after, then start looking into your "weaknesses."

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

What ^^^ said! Take a break!!!

• Briana 170Briana 170 Core Member
    70 karma

Excellent question! Totally get what you mean as I am experiencing the same. I also have a new job that is giving me a kinda good excuse to not study as much as I need to be. My plan is to simply ease myself back into studying. I think I will try to at least study an hour 5-6 nights a week.

• standingdeskguystandingdeskguy Yearly Member
    26 karma

I've started to experience a similar thing. My scores are plateauing and I'm starting to worry that the stress of a new job is affecting my ability to focus. I decided to take a weekend off (normally these are my big study days). I came back on Monday feeling much better. (PT score wasn't that much better, but oh well :smile: ). I hope you get out of the slump, my friend.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

Thanks @Cravath170 @RyanazR @brookegojazz - appreciate the input. I'm definitely going to try to cut back a bit.

Also @"Briana 170" @standingdeskguy I can relate to the new job - I've found that looking at a screen for 8 hours a day and then trying to study is, well, less than ideal. But I guess we'll just have to push through it.

• st_cupertinost_cupertino Member
    177 karma

Besides taking a week off to re-align yourself with your goals, I think one of the best things for study routines to keep you focused, energized, and motivated, is integrating the Pomodoro technique. I break it off into focused effort for 35min chucks and take a quick break (2-5min) in between each 35 min section. During the breaks I don't allow any stimulation (no phone or anything) and just do a meditation or some cardio. It has allowed me to study for more hours in a day because I don't feel as mentally exhausted. Also, nutrition and proper sleep play a big role in your mood/motivation levels. I am a big carb lover, but I have realized how tired it makes me when I try to study- if you are able, I would look into some science-based, nutrient dense diets, along with using a sleep tracker app to make sure you are giving your body the fuel it needs to thrive. This guy is a neuroscientist at Stanford and he has a lot of great videos published about these topics:

Hope this helps!

• FaviPapi-1-1FaviPapi-1-1 Member
    313 karma

When I feel that way, I take a week off and do other stuff such as going out with friends and family members. Once that week is over, I retake the parts that I flagged (such as difficult arguments, games, or passages) of the past 10 PTs and evaluate myself. I hope that helps - good luck, bud.

• yara12345678yara12345678 Core Member
    64 karma

go on zillow and look at nice expensive houses

• 1050 karma

@yara12345678 omg I love doing this. Dallas area is my go to and I don't even live in Texas anymore lol... so many absurdly expensive and lovely homes.

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    edited April 2021 1384 karma

I sometimes scan the discussion forums and #help hashtag posts to see if there's another person or two I can help explain something to. And I really deep dive into what I hope will be a helpful explanation for that person.

It's a confidence boost when the OG poster replies they get it afterwards. Plus, after doing this, your mind is on analytic-overdrive (thus a good warm-up, too!), and so you kind of get to act like a mini-tutor for a moment, and you hone your own approach and analysis to solving the particular problem type it was.

I dunno why, but the thought that I could help explain something to someone is motivational in showing me that I get this test at least this much to say something about it.

Oh, and rest/sleep as @st_cupertino mentions. Getting enough sleep is powerful. I have to keep telling myself this, but I learn the lesson anew ALL the time.

Cheers, you got this!

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

@st_cupertino @FaviPapi @yara12345678 @"Lime Green Dot" I'm going to incorporate all this advice. Thanks for the support!

More of an Austin guy myself @"Burden.of.Floof" but I guess I can check out Dallas :smile:

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

@yara12345678 lol :,) Zillow is such a go-to