Feeling defeated. 155->152. Few decisions to be made after April score release

WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
edited April 2021 in General 476 karma

I scored 152 on April, 155 in Jan.
So many emotions, so much to process. I had my eyes set on T-14 but I'm feeling really stupid right now.

I'm signed up for June but debating whether I should push it back to Aug.
I wanted to apply in September, however, and I'm not sure how I'll do with the experimental section. I also don't feel very confident about how much I can improve over the next few months. The highest I've scored on timed-PT is 161 with highest BR score of 171.

Currently, I have a 9-5 job at Estate Planning firm that's really laid-back with manageable workload (good culture, people are nice, less hours and stress). This job is 5 minutes commute.
VS
I have job offers from 2 other firms with higher pay that's 20, 40 minute-commute with likely 9-6:30 schedule. Sometimes I'd even have to work weekends in these positions but the work will be more interesting (Personal Injury and other, patent).
I was going to accept one of these offers to build on my resume. I thought it'd be good to show that I've worked in various fields to express interest but it will take my time away from studying for sure.

I guess my questions are:
1. Would Aug LSAT be too late for me to send applications in Mid-September??
2. Do you think I should keep my current job and focus on studying even at the risk of not improving very much? I'd been studying from May 2020 to Present (about 11 months).

If you have any advice they will be greatly appreciated.
I'll spend the rest of the day licking my wounds. Hopefully I'll garner enough strength tomorrow to get back up and start studying again instead of feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Update: Does anyone think that I should take both June and Aug? I'll be taking it 4 times.. Some people say that schools only take the highest if you take it 3 times or less but not otherwise.

Polls for Job vs LSAT / June vs Aug LSAT
  1. Job vs LSAT40 votes
    1. Keep the current job and study for the LSAT
      87.50%
    2. Take the other job and study (bit less) for the LSAT
      12.50%
  2. LSAT test date June vs Aug40 votes
    1. take June and be done with it
      10.00%
    2. take Aug after more studying
      90.00%

Comments

• 179 karma

Hi @alexhpcs,

Firstly, congrats on taking the test and scoring as you have. You should not feel stupid at all, don't let this test get the best of you.

With respect to re-taking the test, I think you should retake the test when your consistent average of at least 5 PT's is in the range you want it to be in.

1. Would Aug LSAT be too late for me to send applications in Mid-September??
      To this, I say that it depends on the school you want to go to. Check their website and inquire with their admissions office, if website is not so helpful.

2. Do you think I should keep my current job and focus on studying even at the risk of not improving very much? I'd been studying from May 2020 to Present (about 11 months).
      I think estate planning is a great field and I have been in it, so my bias view says stay in it. If this current position gives you flexibility (and you anticipate that the offered positions may not) then you should definitely keep it and continue towards your LSAT goals. The issue for you may not be studying, it may just be your strategies or test day nerves.

I hope this helps, don't beat yourself up. I recently began focusing on my LSAT career after being in law firms and having that 9-11 job for several years, so I somewhat understand your pain and defeat.

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    edited April 2021 476 karma

@Facts_or_Feelings
    Thank you so, so much for the encouraging words. I've decided that I will not let this test define who I am as an intellectual and a student. I'm also leaning towards staying with the firm to reserve more time for studying. Thanks again for your kind words and pushing me to try another time.

Yes, estate planning is great! Very different clientele and interesting work. You recently began focusing on LSAT, it's a rough journey but I think we will all come out better on the other side. Good luck with it, I sincerely wish you all the best.

Alex

• 240 karma

We are very similar in a lot of respects! I just got my first score back and we're in the same range. Luckily, I have a free score preview and will be canceling, taking the June test and then probably also taking August and October haha. I really don't think that submitting later in the fall is a problem at all, so don't fret over that. Take your time to work on getting your score up, and submitting everything before the end of the year is still relatively early!

edited April 2021 476 karma

@atticusbinch00
    Thanks, atticusbinch00!
    I think I will sit for Aug. I'd have to go back to the drawing board and start over.
    I'm going to take April score as an opportunity to practice some compassion toward myself. I wouldnt be as harsh to a friend if he was in a similar situation.
    Anyway, good luck to you in August! Thanks for stopping by!

Alex

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

August is not too late. I applied in September my first cycle and ended up going nowhere. I applied in February my second cycle and barring any waitlist shenanigans, am likely going to Cornell. The quality of your app is far more important than the timing. All things equal, I would much rather apply one point higher in January than one point lower in September.

As already stated above, I wouldn't take the test until you are PT'ing above your target score. You aren't going to miracle your way to a better score.

476 karma

@canihazJD
    Thank you. You are as wise as you are intelligent.
    I'll do my best to follow your approach when I'm studying.
    *review the content and review my reaction to the content
    *don't let the timeline call your score but rather let the score call your timeline.
    Sage advice.
    Thank you!!

• NicoleTheOwlNicoleTheOwl Live Member
    23 karma

Someone reminded me that there is no need to rush. If you've done 171 on BR then in theory, you could do that well on the actual test. With that score, I'm not sure what scholarships you might receive with current scores so taking the higher paying job would in theory allow you to have additional savings.

Regardless, don't get discouraged! Episode 38 of the 7Sage podcast is great explanation of someone going from a 150 to a 173. Episode #43 is the story of how the 7Sager in episode 38 helped another student go from 138 to 173. These score jumps took about 2 years but they were possible. So if you've been studying since May 2020, it sounds like your journey may be similar. In the end, YOU have to be happy with your score and choice of school.

Best of Luck!