PTJ07.S2.Q18 - Modern science is built on the process of...

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
edited May 2021 in Logical Reasoning 2249 karma

I've already attempted the question and watched and re-watched the video explanation and there's still a portion of answer choice B that I don't understand. I was initially skeptical of the answer once I saw "most" and I felt that the video didn't explain why this answer choice isn't problematic even with the word "most." If it had said some, I would have gone for it, but...

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description]"
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-june-2007-section-2-question-18/

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

It's not problematic because it doesn't have to be strongly supported, just the most strongly supported. Nothing brings more recognition than overthrowing conventional wisdom is enough to support B more than any of the other answers, none of which are supported at all.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

Could I assume that applies to all climatologists? That "nothing brings more recognition than overthrowing conventional wisdom?"

8318 karma

You're not assuming who it applies to. It could apply to whoever. You accept just the premise. This is why its a MSS as opposed to a MBT.

2249 karma

If it had said almost all or all scientists would that also be most strongly supported?

8318 karma

@"Na-leh2021" said:
    If it had said almost all or all scientists would that also be most strongly supported?

I think almost all for the purposes of this question is the same as saying most. All is not supported... you'd have to compare it to the other answers to determine whether it is most supported, and honestly they're not going to make the correct AC that unclear and risk having to pull a question from scoring.

2249 karma

Hm. Since most can potentially include all, would it be ok then for mss? Assuming all the other answers were exactly the same. Or would that be stretching.

8318 karma

Most does include all but all does not include most, so all would be less supported. Saying at least 51% but possibly all is easier to support than just 100%. Would it still work for this question? There I'd say is where you have to refer to the other answers. Is it reasonable to infer "all" is different than asking is this the most supported of the 5 choices?

edited May 2021 2249 karma

If the answer choice did say all, I would not have picked it because even the word most made me not want to pick this answer....I actually picked C on first pass...I know JY has his own explanation for why it's correct but the idea of global warming potentially being false just sounds so counterintuitive.

Could C be problematic because the scientists who take global warming to be conventional wisdom don't necessarily have enough evidence to prove global warming is for sure a real thing?

Conclusive means 100% true, right?