Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still waiting on initial decision

VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member

So I applied to 13 schools over the holidays, from late December to mid January. I heard from most of them months ago, and the rest of them save Minnesota as of the first week of April. I still haven't heard anything from UMN, even when I submitted a LOCI/Why essay two weeks ago. Is anyone else being ghosted by them or another program they applied to 4+months ago? 4 months wouldn't have been so crazy if it was still winter, but I would have thought, this late in the cycle, that they'd know one way or another.

Comments

• HLEGC.2003HLEGC.2003 Alum Member
    257 karma

I'm not currently being ghosted by any schools, but I applied to NYU in September and by the end of April, they still hadn't given me a decision. I wound up getting annoyed and just withdrawing before they got back to me haha. That's crazy you still haven't heard from UMN though--especially since I'm guessing their deposit deadline has passed. Hoping they get back to you with good news soon!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

At this point I'd just ask them, especially if deposits have already come and gone. In each of the past two cycles, Ive seen at least a couple people say they straight up never heard back at all. This cycle is so nuts... Yale's got over double its normal WL and is over admitted and offering deferrals, Cornell is farming apps still, GULC seems like it's forming a whole new class off its WL. Strategies were all over the place so it's hard to predict what schools are doing. I can't wait to see everyone lose their shit when medians are released.

• Second Language-1-1Second Language-1-1 Alum Member
    82 karma

@"HLEGC.2003" - what do you mean by applied to NYU in Sept and April? I am pretty new to the application process. Can you apply multiple times to a single school?

82 karma

@canihazJD what do you mean by "this cycle"? Are you referring to a 2021 Apps vs 2022 Apps?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

@"Second Language" said:
    @canihazJD what do you mean by "this cycle"? Are you referring to a 2021 Apps vs 2022 Apps?

This application year from Sep '21 - Aug '22

257 karma

@"Second Language" said:
    @"HLEGC.2003" - what do you mean by applied to NYU in Sept and April? I am pretty new to the application process. Can you apply multiple times to a single school?

No, I just applied in September and by the time April rolled around, they still hadn't gotten back to me with a decision.

82 karma

@"HLEGC.2003" said:

@"Second Language" said:

No, I just applied in September and by the time April rolled around, they still hadn't gotten back to me with a decision.

Man, I can't imagine the agony... wish you the best! Hope you get to hear good news soon

257 karma

@"Second Language" said:

@"HLEGC.2003" said:

@"Second Language" said:

Man, I can't imagine the agony... wish you the best! Hope you get to hear good news soon

Thanks! I've deposited at a different school that I'm really happy with, so I withdrew from NYU before finding out their final decision lol.

• dutchiebrowndutchiebrown Member
    170 karma

For UMN I also followed the same process. I received an email from the director of admissions on 4/19/21 and had a phone call gauging my seriousness cycle process, discussion of scholarship amounts from other schools I placed seat deposits. On 4/22/21 I received an email and call with a scholarship offer and seat. From my understanding, UMN is currently full and holding with their seat deposits. I applied and was complete late January.