Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Behalf of a 7Sage User: Question about Negation Quiz 3 w/ Answers

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited May 2021 in Logical Reasoning 5740 karma

[I am posting on behalf of a 7Sage user. Please feel free to leave your comments below. Thank you for your help!]

Q5:

As a negation, could we say - it is possible that there are also no analogies that are most appropriate for political campaigns

SO:

"Either something else is more appropriate analogy for reporting on political campaigns than chess is
OR something else ties with chess as being the most appropriate analogy for reporting on political campaigns." PLUS
OR there are zero most appropriate analogies for reporting on political campaigns

Can we not account for "zero" in the negation here?

Link to the Quiz: https://7sage.com/lesson/quiz-negation-3-answers/?ss_completed_lesson=12772

@canihazJD, @Christopherr, @jmarmaduke96 tagging you in case you can help with a response.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2021 8486 karma

Chess is the most appropriate analogy to reporting on political campaigns.

If you can't see the negation right away sometimes it helps to just tack on an "It is not the case that..." in front of the target statement.

It is not the case that chess is the most appropriate analogy to reporting on political campaigns.

Here I think it should seem to make sense that OP's third option would be covered by this, but I think "zero most appropriate analogies" is left out of the answer because "most" is comparative and "appropriate" is individually subjective, so like even if nothing was an appropriate analogy, something could still be the most appropriate one. In other words, you could have no appropriate analogies, but you'd still have a most appropriate one. So you could have zero, but not zero most.

If I gave you two disanalagous options written in wingdings, a broken crayon, and a paper airplane, if forced, you could still come up with a call as to which was more analogous. When we're talking analogies it's really about which one sucks the least anyway... they all have something wrong with them. That's why they're analogies and not "the actual thing we're talking about."

If the statement had instead said, "Chess is the only appropriate analogy..." then I think we could have said a negation could be "zero appropriate analogies", and also any form of there being other appropriate analogies.

I think if we're going any deeper, I need a philosophy major to come in and take over.

• Lily-YesICAN7Lily-YesICAN7 Alum Member
    35 karma

lol ^ ty.

• Lily-YesICAN7Lily-YesICAN7 Alum Member
    35 karma

@"Lily-YesICAN7" said:
    lol ^ ty.

"I think if we're going any deeper, I need a philosophy major to come in and take over."