Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Queues you use to skip in LR?

emmorensemmorens Core Member
in Logical Reasoning 1470 karma

Hi all! I'm currently working on reviewing my timed practice sections and am noticing that I am really bad at getting sucked into time sink questions.

I am working on a list of 'queues' for myself to identify when to skip without even thinking about it, as I often find myself questioning 'should I skip now?' during a section; I want to work on building the reflex so I instinctively know to skip & don't have to think about it.

Personally for me - I've noticed that the moment I'm not engaging/clicking with a stimulus is a great moment to skip (though I still seem to have trouble doing it lol). I have also noticed that I absolutely despise anything LR question with abstract concepts about 'morality, or truth' that require some serious thought to actually understand.

Other than that, I'm finding it a bit hard to pinpoint 'signs' that will tell me if it's a 4/5 star LR question to know when to skip.

I would love to hear about everyone else's skipping strategies as well as things you look out for that give you a queue to move on and come back!

Hopefully this could help others as well.

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

Every question has 2/3 obvious wrong answers which I can quickly eliminate, if I find that I take more than a minute deciding on the remaining two I just guess and move on. There's' no use sucking up the minutes on questions that are time suckers if you're uncertain of the answer anyway, as a rule , I alternate between choosing answers A and E and keep it moving.

• edited May 2021 540 karma

Personally for me - I've noticed that the moment I'm not engaging/clicking with a stimulus is a great moment to skip (though I still seem to have trouble doing it lol). I have also noticed that I absolutely despise anything LR question with abstract concepts about 'morality, or truth' that require some serious thought to actually understand.

This is one of my 'queues' as well. I ask myself, do I understand the argument enough to anticipate an answer choice? If I cannot, then I flag it and move on.

Another 'queue', when I am down to two answer choices. If I eliminate 3 and are left with 2, I read the two answer choices carefully. If nothing jumps out at me, then I skip. On my 2nd pass, I have the luxury to come back to this question, ruminate on the answer choices, and find the one that is NOT logically flawed.

One more thing about the skipping strategy--one of the best advice that I got was to forget about trying to skip only the 4/5 star questions. Sometimes, I get stuck on 1 star questions. It just happens. I shouldn't waste my time trying to force an answer choice, even if it's question 1 on the section. Instead, I have calibrated my skipping strategy to feel for the difficulty of the problem. Do I have trouble with this problem? If so, then I need to swallow my ego and skip.

As this was something that I struggled with in the past, the change in mindset really aided in LR performance. What used to be my worst section is now my best section!