Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score Cancellation

sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
in General 604 karma

Hi guys,
Just looking for some advice about the first-time test taker score cancellation policy available on LSAC. Does it make sense to do this in all cases? I'm taking the June flex and wasn't planning on purchasing it (of course also hoping I'll only have to take the test once), but I saw some people talking about how it is necessary to get it. I'm aiming 160+ if that matters.
Thank you!

Comments

• alisonkgrahamalisonkgraham Member
    9 karma

I've been wondering the same thing! It seems like a no brainer and like it would have no downsides. But I guess I felt like it would tempt me to cancel a (potentially) good score just because I think I can do better. I'd be interested to hear some people's thoughts.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited May 2021 4300 karma

IMHO I believe its worth it (especially for those who are somewhat close to their target score but haven't yet reached it or been consistent). The score preview allows you to see your score then cancel - versus a normal cancellation that's based on gut feeling and you can't see what you scored. Posting a description from LSAC's website :)

"First-time test takers who sign up for score preview will receive their scores at the same time other test takers receive theirs (assuming they have completed their LSAT Writing and have no holds on their accounts), and will have six (6) calendar days to decide if they want to cancel or keep their score. If no action is taken, their scores will be added to their LSAC account and released to law schools to which they have applied at the end of the six-day period. "

• rix.ryskamprix.ryskamp Core Member
    24 karma

I used it to cancel a score when the proctors interrupted me during the logic games (twice)! I think it is great insurance! Seeing the score first allowed me to gauge my performance under those circumstances.

• 269 karma

I watched an interview with a former admissions counselor from a Top 5 law school (I think she was from Chicago - can't remember) and a discussion about disparate LSAT scores came up. This one student scored a 168 initially, but then scored a 176 a month later. The admissions counselor was blown away. She went so far as to criticize the student for NOT providing a narrative about the significant increase in the addendum because she was so impressed and wanted to understand how the student achieved that.

Point being, keeping a low, first performance on record is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're confident that you can do better and in fact do, the difference between your initial and final score could function as a compelling testament to your perseverance and dedication, assuming you frame it as such!

• ibarre98ibarre98 Member
    44 karma

I think there's literally no downside to purchasing score preview (barring financial difficulties). If you like the score, keep it. If you don't, cancel.

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and purchased it. I had the same thinking that there isn't really a downside to it. Thanks again!

• haleyj95haleyj95 Core Member
    39 karma

If I take and then cancel my score, will schools see that I have a cancellation on my record? Or will they just see my next test score?

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

@haleyj95 said:
    If I take and then cancel my score, will schools see that I have a cancellation on my record? Or will they just see my next test score?

No, they don't see the cancellation. That's the great thing!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

They don't see the cancellation? I thought they would see it because they know someone registered for the test and sat for it. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@lsatplaylist The LSAC will know that you cancelled the test. But law schools will not. the LSAC only sends scores that aren't cancelled.

5249 karma

Oh, I thought they got a note saying the candidate cancelled. Thanks for the reply.

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    @lsatplaylist The LSAC will know that you cancelled the test. But law schools will not. the LSAC only sends scores that aren't cancelled.

Your law school report will reflect that your score was canceled at your request; this advises law schools that you were exposed to test questions.

https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/lsat-scoring/canceling-scores-without-score-preview-option

5249 karma

Makes sense. Thanks for finding the site.