Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Four or Five section test

leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
in General 280 karma
So I just completed the course and took my first time LSAT, PT36. It had four multiple choice sections and then the written. So, basically, no experimental section. Is that just luck of the draw or do certain years not have the experimental sections? Also, is the same test given during all four times of the year or is there the chance that the Feb 2015 had an experimental section and the October or December will not? Thanks ;)

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Welcome.

Each administrated LSAT is different and yes there is an experimental section. All the preptests sold will only have the 4 graded sections because the experimental section is not disclosed.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 1489 karma
    Your real administration of the LSAT will always include an experimental section. However, since LSAC uses this section to try out questions for future tests, this section is not released. You need to add in your own 5th section, from another test, to mimic test day conditions. You can piece things together or you can purchase them from cambridge lsat (they add sections in for you).

You should have 5 multiple choice sections in addition to the writing sample.

A different test is giving at each administration.

Hope that answers your questions!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I add an "experimental" section that I've taken before as my first section of timed PT's. It works both as a "warm up" for the scored sections of the PT and also is an opportunity to build stamina. Given the test conditions others mentioned above, I think it's a good idea to train for that reality.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    @nicole.hopkins
    Have you tried putting your "experimental" section as your 2nd or 3rd section? I think that'll also mimic real testing conditions since not everyone's experimental section will be their first.
    7965 karma
    @ddakjiking said:
    Have you tried putting your "experimental" section as your 2nd or 3rd section?
    True that—I have, and I've been thinking about switching the order up again and simulating "real" warm up activities, like those I'd use on test day (like sitting in my car with flashcards or doing a game on the fly).
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I am four, five sections to wildin'
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I'd definitely recommend adding in an experimental section during your practice PTs. It will help with endurance on test day otherwise you risk getting burnt out by the 5th section since you won't be used to it.
  • leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
    280 karma
    Okay. so the PTs we get on here have the experimental section removed; is that correct? I was wondering if some years they just didn't have one. Thanks :)
    7965 karma
    @leonsmoney said:
    Okay. so the PTs we get on here have the experimental section removed; is that correct? I was wondering if some years they just didn't have one. Thanks :)
    Experimental sections are never included in published tests. Some companies, like Cambridge, add in a fifth section from another published test at a random insertion point to replicate the experience. But if you've already take na lot of tests you'll still likely know which one is the experimental because chances are good you'll have taken it before ;)