Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is focusing on recent PT's more important if I have limited time?

AnthonyG82AnthonyG82 Member
edited July 2021 in General 19 karma

Hello everyone. So I’m taking the October 2021 test. I’m through with the core curriculum and I’m currently on practice test 42. I just tested a 162 (BR 170) w extra time, (trying to master the concepts first, then chip away at the time.) My goal is the mid at 160's under normal conditions. My senior undergrad semester starts in mid August so I won’t be able to devote as much time to studying like I am during this summer. I'm an older student with a very heavy and difficult-to-average-up GPA. Getting a 4.0 this semester is critical to getting my overall GPA where I want it. My question is this. It usually takes me 2 to 3 days to move on from one test to the next, after taking it, BRing, watching explanations and taking notes (bc I really try not to rush and take each stage seriously.) Anyway, if I maintain that, there’s no feasible way that I’m going to get through all the remaining PTs by October. But I’m not sure if just going in order and ending on PT 60 or something by the time the October test rolls around is a good idea. There will be dozens and dozens and years worth of tests that I will leave undone. Should I skip around? Take every other 3rd of 4th test? Focus on the most recent ones like the last 20-30? Anyone’s advice as to how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GoBlueFlyNavyGoBlueFlyNavy Core Member
    40 karma

I was just about to post the same question so hopefully someone with some experience has a reply!

I am taking the August test, just finished PT 47. I want to leave some practice tests in the bank too in case I have to retake the LSAT after the first time.

Has anyone that has done every practice test and taken the LSAT noticed if certain PTs are more similar to the current test?

• dpschwabdpschwab Core Member
    22 karma

I would say that if you know you only have a certain period of time to take them then to definitely prioritize the more recent ones. They are more similar in format and in difficulty.

• j.harrisonj.harrison Member
    edited July 2021 57 karma

Yes you should-but be careful not to use too many. I unfortunately thought June was going to be one and done test and only have 3 clean recent PTs left. So yes, use recent ones, but with the caveat to leave some left just in case. Remember, the fundamentals will be the same for PTs 40s+. So, I would do timed sections from older tests and then do PTs in the newer tests, leaving 7-8 of them untouched.

• AnthonyG82AnthonyG82 Member
    19 karma

Thank you guys. I suspected as much. If PT's 1-3X are used for drilling material because they are considered too old to represent the current format, then I would think PTs from the early 2000's wouldn't be as representative of the test as ones from just 10 years ago. I will be sure to keep it in mind to save some tests just in case I have to retake in December.

40 karma

Woah, I was in the late 40s for PTs averaging and was pretty consistently in the 163-168 range and just took PT 83 as a more recent one and got a 157. Granted I made a few silly mistakes, especially in the Logic Game section, but this has me thinking I should have started hitting recent tests a lot sooner. Are the more recent tests really that much more difficult?

• elevator_musicelevator_music Core Member
    151 karma

@GoBlueFlyNavy said:
    Woah, I was in the late 40s for PTs averaging and was pretty consistently in the 163-168 range and just took PT 83 as a more recent one and got a 157. Granted I made a few silly mistakes, especially in the Logic Game section, but this has me thinking I should have started hitting recent tests a lot sooner. Are the more recent tests really that much more difficult?

I just started hitting the early 80s and I had a ten point drop between the stuff in the 60s and early 70s. I know there were a few silly mistakes made too, and I know I was going into the 80s with some anxiety about the "expected" score drop but oh man this is discouraging and I hope it's all in my head. Words of encouragement appreciated!

40 karma

@elevator_music said:

@GoBlueFlyNavy said:

I just started hitting the early 80s and I had a ten point drop between the stuff in the 60s and early 70s. I know there were a few silly mistakes made too, and I know I was going into the 80s with some anxiety about the "expected" score drop but oh man this is discouraging and I hope it's all in my head. Words of encouragement appreciated!

Guess I'm not the only one. I'm hoping I can correct it back to where I was with a few more recent PTs and solid review. Keep plugging away!

• TE CSC 2021TE CSC 2021 Core Member
    148 karma

Totally want to join in the chorus here. If you can only take a few practice tests, make the most recent ones the ones you take, and reserve the most recent released PT for the last PT you take before you take the real one. Also, just in general, taking every single practice test is probably not necessary for anyone in order to be well-prepared, particularly because committing to such a thing seems a perfect scenario in which to burn out.