Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice: Variation in Scores

mnnazir919mnnazir919 Core Member
edited July 2021 in General 29 karma

Hi everyone

I am trying to study for the upcoming August test and have been doing problem sets throughout the week. Last week I would complete a LR problem set and average 2-3 wrong out of 25-26 questions. This past week, it's dropped to 5-7 wrong seemingly out of nowhere. Habits and eating schedule have stayed the same, and I just took a practice test and got the most amount of questions wrong since 4-5 months ago. Upon review I understand my mistake and will answer the question right, but in the moment I don't know where that line of thinking goes. Feeling super defeated. Any advice?

Comments

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

Fluctuations in scores happen. That's just the reality. This close to the test, maybe ease up on the timed work so it doesn't tank your confidence before test day. Continue doing questions, but don't do them with as much time pressure as that may tire you out before exam day. Focus on fine tuning your weaker question types.

You're fine. Just give yourself a chance to breathe. You have the skills and are probably just freaking out a little bit because it's almost time for the real deal.

• Arman080Arman080 Member
    165 karma

Hey,

I started studying in January and took the June LSAT. I was scoring in the high 160s and low 170s but 2 weeks before my test I started dropping to 164/165. I scored a 165 on the June test (during the test I could tell I'm doing bad). I took a break for a while and came back recently. I scored a 160 a couple days ago and I'm currently blind reviewing a test I think I did really well on. Your score is a guideline for how well you do but it is not a guideline on how knowledgeable/skilled you are. Your confidence, timing and lots of factors come into play on test day, you might do worse or better than your average. Don't pay attention to score fluctuations (outside of analyzing for weaknesses), just keep improving and eventually you will autopilot into the score you want. I know it can be very unmotivating to see the fluctuations because it makes you feel like you don't deserve the higher scores, but after scoring a 165 after several steady 170s, I am now paying a lot less attention to my score averages and a lot more attention to my mental health/mental state. Good luck!