Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to Take the Written Section?

David1234David1234 Alum Member
edited August 2021 in General 61 karma

I am taking the August LSAT, which is my first, and am hoping to get my score ASAP so I know both if I need to take it again in October and if I should cancel my score. I know there is a warning that you cannot get your grade until after your written section has been accepted. A few questions regarding the process:

1) How long does it usually take for a written section to be confirmed?

2) If I took the written section a few days after the test would my score be delayed?

3) If my score is delayed, will I still be able to cancel that score using my one time option as a new test taker?

At the moment I am laser focused on trying to get the best possible score and I don't want to lose that by shifting focus to the written section. I am hoping to get some opinions on whether that is the right strategy or if I should bite the bullet and do the written section before the rest of the test.

Comments

• nomomnomnomomnom Member
    412 karma

I completed my written section 2-3 weeks after the June 2021 flex. Was completely fine, they processed it and allowed me to see score the next day. I realize my situation may not be the the norm as they say it could take 1-3 weeks, but for me that was not the case. If you purchased score preview, the time starts when your score is released to you, so yes you will be given the chance to cancel if you choose to do so. I would worry about prepping for the LSAT and ensuring you are well rested in the weeks/days leading up to the exam :)

• MissionLsatMissionLsat Member
    edited August 2021 379 karma

I would be answering your questions from my personal experience.

1. For me it took around 1 week to get it approved. However, some of my friends got their writing section flagged. Hence it took them more than 3 weeks.

2. I took the writing sample after a week of my June exam and my score didn't got delayed. So I guess 6 to 8 days should be fine. However, you should be careful enough to not to do anything wrong that could get your section flagged. As then your score will probably get delayed.

I would also recommend you to first focus on giving the lsat and direct your efforts to get a good score and then get your writing portion sorted.

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

I took June 2021 and I complete my writing about a week before my exam date. My sample was approved and posted on LSAC within 12 hours.

I recommend doing the practice run-through on LSAC, it's a simulation that shows you exactly how the official administration will look/feel like. Also- don't forget to show both sides of your scrap paper during room check and follow all other rules so your session won't be flagged.

If you do it after you take the exam, do it soon after just to be on the safe side. I think when people get their sessions approved is based on the volume of who takes it at any given time in the test taking window, which you can't be sure of, so get it done as soon as you can. I was nervous about the writing sample but it was very low stress, so don't worry too much about it. Good luck!