Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to Write Diversity Statement

KU123456KU123456 Alum Member

My personal statement contains information that would normally go into a diversity statement. In that case, would I still need to write a diversity statement? If I do not, would I be missing out on a chance to present another aspect of myself?

I've tried cutting down the personal statement into the length for a diversity statement, but that makes it lose out on a lot of important points. Would it be okay to just stick to the personal statement and not write the diversity one?

Thank you!

Comments

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

Seeing as the diversity statement is as completely optional statement, then I think it's totally okay not to submit one, especially if you don't have something completely different to say that isn't anywhere else in the application. I've also been debating submitting one - but like you, it would contain similar information that is in my personal statement. What I've come to realize is if your personal statement on its own diversifies you, then anything else would be redundant and perhaps harmful to your application.

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

I agree that you don't have to but you COULD also write a diversity statement that's completely different from your PS. All the diversity prompts I've seen are super broad so you can bring in a facet of who you are that you don't get into in your PS. Diversity isn't constrained to race, religion, or LGBT+. You can write a diversity statement about pretty much anything, as long as you show how it would add something to the law school's class