Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re-take

ledkarlyledkarly Member
in General 483 karma

Hi!

I am taking my first test in October and I am currently scoring where I want to score.. but should I register for the November LSAT just in case I don't score in my target? Or should I register for the January one so its not too rushed. I dont want to waste a take.

I live in Canada, so the application is different than in the US. The schools I am applying to still take the January LSAT.

Thanks!

Comments

• puffinbdpuffinbd Yearly Member
    43 karma

If you're already scoring where you need, pushing to January may not be necessary if you can get your score in November. There's only a rush when you really need that extra time to improve your score. If other aspects of your application are already done, then all the more reason to take your second (if needed) in November rather than January as you put yourself in a better place with admissions. The general rule is, the longer you wait to apply, the less spots will be available. Having another test date in your back pocket while you take October may also take some stress off your shoulders. With your first take, there's a lot more anxiety just on how the whole process looks like, which can impact your score too (that's how it was for me at least!). Once your October score comes out and its either what you want or not, you can cancel November. Just remember a school won't consider your application if they know you're registered to take another test (usually).

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@puffinbd - I think something to consider is that if they register for November, but do score well in October, they won't get full refund if they decide to drop out of the November test.

But if you don't mind risking losing that $ then it would be nice to have that extra take in November.

• ornela..ornela.. Member
    66 karma

I'm currently in the same position. I'm Canadian registered for October and I'm hitting my target score. Everybody is different but for myself I did the June LSAT and hit around 5 below what I was averaging due to nerves/stress etc (mind you I was only PTing around ~160 then). I'm now hitting my PTs much higher than previously ~168-173 but I probably will register for the November LSAT for peace of mind and will just cancel if I don't need to take it.

• puffinbdpuffinbd Yearly Member
    43 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    @puffinbd - I think something to consider is that if they register for November, but do score well in October, they won't get full refund if they decide to drop out of the November test.

But if you don't mind risking losing that $ then it would be nice to have that extra take in November.

That's very true! LSAC gave those who took the August test a chance to get a full refund for October since it was the first 4 section exam after the last flex in June, but that most likely won't be possible for November. If you have an LSAC fee waiver, then you get two lsat registrations free. Since the whole law school application process is so tied to financial ability, its definitely something to take into consideration when registering for a retake date.