Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Principle

help

What exactly does general principle mean? I see it constantly throughout the logical reasoning answer choices. Very rarely is it included in the actual right answer, but I would love to have a better understanding of the term and what would constitute a general principle, so that I can eliminate the answer choices more quickly. I have a basic understanding, but I feel like it is an ambiguous phrase for me at this point, therefore, when I see in the answer choices, I have to take unnecessary time to rule it out.

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

You can think of it like instructions or rules for how to interpret or classify actions. Lets say that I have certain criteria to meet in order for my actions to be considered altruistic: I have to do something for the benefit of another and I cannot benefit personally.

Those criteria are the principles, and any action I take that does not fulfill both of those does not follow the "general principle" of altruism.

Does that make sense? You can often find examples of general principles in PSA questions, as often what is being asked is to find the general principle governing a particular scenario.