Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Way To Use Cambridge Drilling Qs?

Controller779Controller779 Alum Member
in General 221 karma
I'm about to start the PTing portion of my study.

I've also just purchased the Cambridge LR bundle that covers all question types for the section. What's the best way to use it? PT, discover my weaknesses and then incorporate the drilling into my refresher study from the core curriculum and Trainer?

Any advice welcomed!

Comments

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Yeah, that's one way. Drill certain questions that you're really struggling on. But, if I could give you one advice, it would be to drill entire LR sections instead of focusing on one question type. Also, drilling entire section will put you in the right frame of mind because when you're drilling only one question type, your mind will stay in that question type "mode" and it'll be more difficult when faced with a real section where after a MBT, they throw you a sufficient assumption, and then go to a method of reasoning and then a weaken question type, etc.
  • Controller779Controller779 Alum Member
    221 karma
    That's the only drawback with the Cambridge organizational method.

They sell them already grouped by question type. I suppose I could arrange them into their original tests...but it would be one big few hours of collating!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I'm going to push back a little and say you should drill by question type as well as taking timed sections. Drilling by question types helps solidify muscle memory (so to speak). It'll help you develop a game plan for specific question types that will allow you to easily switch between question types.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I agree with @blah170blah. To me, drilling each question type is good practice for the timed tests. Using an analogy to golf (for those that hate golf, I apologize), drilling question types is synonymous to a golfer spending time on the driving range. While on the driving range, he will be practicing all kinds of shots: drives, fades, draws, chips, putts, etc. By practicing all these shots, he is preparing himself to execute them on the course when the situation requires it. On one hand, he won't be practicing correctly for the rounds he will have to play if all he does is hit on the driving range and never steps on the actual course. Conversely, he won't improve if all he does is play the course without an idea of how to incorporate all the different shots that he would've learned had he spent time on the range. It represents the delicate balance between PTs and drilling. Too much of one takes away from the other. Not enough of one will hamper the overall progress.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    To add, I've bought all the packets and currently drill all of them. Between doing PT's, I've been drilling each question type in increments of three questions at a time. I will set a timer for 4 mins and doing those threw questions while circling the ones I'm not sure about. After BR, I check the answers on those three, fix any problems I might have and then move on to the next question type. Lather, rinse and repeat. My line of thinking is that I am getting the benefits of drilling under timed pressure and BRing the ones I had trouble with while at the same time not getting used to a certain type of question and a certain method of thinking. I am constantly having to switch thought processes similar to the real thing.