Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Separate game board

satterwhite6satterwhite6 Alum Member
in General 14 karma
I'm just now starting to do logic games, and it is completely foreign to me. My question: Do we not write on our master game board with inferences and rules annotated on it? Sorry, if it seems like a silly question; I am just super confused.

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    edited June 2015 1644 karma
    Once you have your master GB set up, J.Y. recommends not to write on it. Your master GB would include those inferences that you made via the rules given. I always leave my rules written down if the event I need to refer back. But generally, the master GB shouldn't be altered once you have pushed all the rules together to squeeze out any inferences.

Edited to add that there are no silly questions. The most dangerous prospect in this is not knowing that you don't know.
  • satterwhite6satterwhite6 Alum Member
    14 karma
    I appreciate your response. You have definitely brought clarity to my confusion.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @satterwhite6 Let me show you an example. I believe this is from PT46.

Here you see:

1) Far left, elements and subset indicators
    2) Middle top, master game board
    3) Far right top, theonly rule that needed to be written as such for this particular game (you see some "not" rules and that L and O are subset r, which are also representations of rules—I just don't put them in the "rules only" area of my diagrams)
    4) Middle-middle, bracketed: here are 2 hypotheticals based on one trigger ( L being first, and the position of J switching)
    5) Middle-bottom: hypo based on O being in the first slot (only one possibility for J's placement)

This game is pretty typical of how I do the diagram: One "master" diagram that represents what must be true in all worlds, and a couple of hypos for possible worlds, insofar as it makes sense to do so.

For this particular game, doing these 3 boards in <3 minutes allowed me to answer all of the questions well under 1 minute and with 100% accuracy. So this was a <5 minute game overall.
  • satterwhite6satterwhite6 Alum Member
    14 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Thank you so much, for showing me your way. Cheers!