Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for Identifying Game Types and Game Board Setup?

MakingItHappen2022MakingItHappen2022 Core Member

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time being able to identify game types and knowing what game board setup to use. I recently just started studying for the logic game section and i'm guessing maybe the only way to learn this is it with practice/experience BUT, I'd like to know if anyone else had trouble with this as well and if any particular tips helped with identifying the game type and board setup.

Comments

• kwillar9kwillar9 Member
    edited February 2022 248 karma

I really struggled with this at first too. What helped me was fool proofing games 1-35 (after going through the entire LG curriculum). I know this is tedious, but I saw a huge improvement after doing it.

Also, lots of deep breaths helps throughout this process too. There were times I would want to pull out my hair when looking at a game for the very first time and not seeing a way to set it up. Eventually, it will come to you naturally.

• JD__2528JD__2528 Alum Member
    93 karma

I came over to 7sage upon completing another study material (LSAT prep book), and personally for me, I was glad I studied LG in a bit more categorized-way beforehand.

While JY's simplified approach to LG as a whole combined with fool-proofing helped me get much faster, I think when starting to learn the basics of LG, it might be helpful to review a material that dissects categories of LG and provide you with various tailored game board set ups or approaches. So that you have more approach options to choose from - take the ones that work and let go of the excessive/ineffective methods after combining with strategies at 7sage.

• RaphaelPRaphaelP Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1116 karma

Aside from the above tips (re. foolproofing) something useful to keep in mind is that for the vast majority of games, they will fall into the broad categories of sequencing (putting pieces in order) or grouping (putting pieces in groups). Always start by asking yourself whether they want you to do one of those two things.

Obviously there will be subsets of those set-ups (sequencing can be single layer, double layer, with grouping elements, etc.) but don't worry about that at first. And even when you do get to those, it's immeasurably easier if your first step is just to ascertain whether you're putting things in order or in groups.

• AryanSingh-1AryanSingh-1 Member
    342 karma

Order/consecutive = sequence
    Grouping is ez placing pieces under 2 or 3 groups
    Grouping + order = double layer
    thats majority of the games

• MakingItHappen2022MakingItHappen2022 Core Member
    50 karma

Thank you for all the advice!