Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage and LSAT Trainer

mikeysaikaleymikeysaikaley Alum Member
in General 116 karma
Hey! I'm thinking about starting July1st studying for the October write. I already bought the LSAT Trainer and was wondering whether I should do the 7sage premium course after I read the LSAT Trainer, or read the LSAT Trainer after 7sage.

Also what are your thoughts on LG, I heard 7sage is enough for LG so should I skip the LSAT Trainer section on LG to prevent confusion?

Comments

• bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    From what I hear it generally doesn't matter which you do first, just doing both definitely helps. Personally I did the 7Sage course first, now reading Trainer and it's really helping solidify the concepts.

As far as LG, there are a couple threads, I think @Pacifico mentioned he's been reading the Trainer for LG and the symbol concept it uses has its own benefits.

Idk though, I think I may skip over the LG section of the trainer, I'll skim it though. It shouldn't conflict with any concepts, just an alternative way of viewing the LG.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I did 7Sage first, and have done most of it twice since I wasn't prepping hard during the first run through last fall. After starting PTs I picked up a copy of the Trainer based on advice from a lot of users on here. It has definitely helped bring an alternate perspective to my studies which has been nice. I'm almost halfway through the Trainer and have really enjoyed it and it's a nice change of pace from video instruction, and vice versa.

I mostly picked it up for LR as my LG game was already pretty tight, but as @bSM45LSAT noted, I ended up reading the LG sections after all and have found some good stuff to take away from it. Like you I was worried about confusing myself with two different styles, but they are pretty complementary and so it was easy to integrate some of the Trainer's methodology into my approach that has been heavily influenced by 7Sage. I like the use of symbols, vertical listing of elements for questions with subcategories, and the use of lowercase letters and numbers to denote subcategories. Everything else I do the way I learned on 7Sage and I'm very happy with where I'm at with that. Though I was going to use pieces of the Trainer, I know see it as a complete work that should be digested just as it is laid out (I feel the same about 7Sage). Even if you know something about a given topic based upon other resources, it never hurts to read up on it again from a different or even similar perspective.

One thing I will highlight for you as a warning is that one of the first things you will learn on 7Sage is that 3 months is not enough time to prep for the LSAT. Now, don't get scared off by this because it definitely depends on both your diagnostic and your target score. If you just need a 165 and you get a 155+ on your diagnostic then I think you'll be good, but if you get less than a 150 and need a 170+ then three months is probably not enough. However, you should still get going so worst case scenario you just take it in December. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
  • mikeysaikaleymikeysaikaley Alum Member
    116 karma
    @Pacifico Thank you for the detailed response! Ya, I heard 3 months isn't enough time but I find most people on 7sage are American shooting for the high 160's and 170's since American law school admissions is very different than Canadian in terms of having tiered law school systems and the huge amount of scholarships.

Canada for every school you need 160+ coupled with a strong cGPA, and some schools are more cGPA heavy than others weighing it more than the LSAT.

So all in all I'm not aiming for a 170+ merely 160+! Though in my studying of course I will have the mindset of scoring the highest possible as attitude I believe is a huge part of success.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @mikeysaikaley I learn much better from books than from videos, so I'm very glad that I started with the LSAT Trainer. Other folks learn better from videos, etc. SO. I think you have nothing to lose either way, and maybe something to gain based on how you learn.