Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Behalf of a 7Sage User: Struggling with retaining what I've learned. Any suggestions?

Paula --Student Service--Paula --Student Service-- Member Administrator Student Services

[I am posting on behalf of a 7Sage user. Please feel free to leave your comments below. Thank you for your help!]

My biggest challenge is LR and Im really struggling with retaining what I've learned during the test. Any suggestions? My next test is March and I'd like to get my LR to -8 or lower.

Comments

• edited February 2022 571 karma

First, make sure you don't get bogged down in strategies. Before anything else, you need to have clear conception of what the stimulus is telling you and what the question stem is asking. Now, about the strategies. It's much easier to recount things in categories. So, I found writing out the different question types and understanding strategies as a subcategory was helpful. Also, grouping question types together can be helpful. For example, necessary assumption and sufficient assumption; weaken and strengthen; or point of agreement/disagreement. Lastly, when you do LR sections, DO NOT read the question stem first. Practice reading the stimulus carefully and attempting to recount the question type before you look at the question stem. When you read a flaw stimulus, you will ideally recognize a flaw BEFORE you get to the question stem. I hope this helps and feel free to reach out for more clarification!

• 2567ZRdt2567ZRdt Alum Member
    82 karma

Keep on practicing. Don't force yourself. When I was in Junior HS, I had a teacher who said to always read from page one. At the time, I didn't understand why. Many years later, I realized that it was a painless way of memorization. Good luck!

• Dwyatt97Dwyatt97 Member
    28 karma

I recommend purchasing a book called " the loophole in LSAT logical reasoning" by Ellen Cassidy. It has a lot of really helpful tips and tricks when it comes to LR and its helped me substantially increase my score in that section.

• Jmenpac2010Jmenpac2010 Member
    33 karma

One tip that helped me reinforce the ideas that I used in a past problem set is to try and work that problem set into your studying somewhere in the future. Often times I would forget the question but would have some familiarity on how to tackle the question.

• 20 karma

Thank you all!These are really good tips. I did in fact purchase the Loophole and started reading it.

@DontPay4LawSchool said:
    First, make sure you don't get bogged down in strategies. Before anything else, you need to have clear conception of what the stimulus is telling you and what the question stem is asking. Now, about the strategies. It's much easier to recount things in categories. So, I found writing out the different question types and understanding strategies as a subcategory was helpful. Also, grouping question types together can be helpful. For example, necessary assumption and sufficient assumption; weaken and strengthen; or point of agreement/disagreement. Lastly, when you do LR sections, DO NOT read the question stem first. Practice reading the stimulus carefully and attempting to recount the question type before you look at the question stem. When you read a flaw stimulus, you will ideally recognize a flaw BEFORE you get to the question stem. I hope this helps and feel free to reach out for more clarification!

I really liked this thought here - one of my struggles is trying to remember all of the tricks for the different question stems. It really throws me off my game because I get bogged down in trying to remember the best approach to the question stem.