Initial PT Strategy - Would This Work?

Controller779Controller779 Alum Member
in General 221 karma
I did my first PT today and, I have to admit, was disappointed with the score (148). BR wasn't much better in the mid 150.

However, it could have just been because it is my first test - a BIG nervous moment I have been building up to since I started studying in January.

Rather than try to pick apart my weaknesses at this stage, I am figuring it may be good to take another 3-4 tests just to build up some analytics within 7Sage. That should then give me a good basis from which to do some actual targeted further study. With just this one test, I'd be unsure where to even start.

Is that sensible? Or a waste of 3-4 more practice tests?

Thanks,
J.

Comments

• Controller779Controller779 Alum Member
    221 karma
    And....another question....should I BR these initial tests really thoroughly?
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Yes. BR is where the learning takes place and is reinforced. I actually type out all of my reasoning for why answers are correct and incorrect. But I must admit that I have no looming deadline to take the test. You have to balance your own priorities in order to figure out what you can and can not do.
  • Controller779Controller779 Alum Member
    221 karma
    Sounds good. Do you think I should do a few tests over the next two days to get some data to move forward from?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I would definitely take 2-3 more before addressing any specific areas... My first few PTs were only 5 points higher than my diagnostic on average but after a few more it jumped up another 5 points on average just from getting used to testing. Actually taking PTs helps iron out a lot of other issues you may experience whether it's timing, bubbling, anxiety or anything else.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 3462 karma
    Go over your BR and watch all of the video explanations for the ones you got wrong and if you have time also watch the videos on the ones you got right! You will start to recognize patterns by doing this in your prep! I would also suggest that you write out your reasoning for all of the questions you circle for BR. And then compare your explanations with the video lessons. It's time consuming but after a while you will notice that it won't take you as long anymore.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @jamesjentucker said:
    I did my first PT today and, I have to admit, was disappointed with the score (148). BR wasn't much better in the mid 150.

However, it could have just been because it is my first test - a BIG nervous moment I have been building up to since I started studying in January.
    This is to be expected :) Par for the course! Keep your head up! A lot of the improvement in PT's comes from practice and developing good habits under timed conditions.
    @jamesjentucker said:
    And....another question....should I BR these initial tests really thoroughly?
    As others have said ... 100% yes! And keep an eye out for the BR group schedules ... You might consider jumping ahead a bit (Weds is PT52, Sat is PT53) and joining a call so you can hear some of the blind review process in action. And don't be afraid to speak up or ask your own questions ... I think this experience would be very helpful at this early stage.