PT70.S4.Q17 - Method of Reasoning

1230_sunny1230_sunny Member
edited March 2022 in Logical Reasoning 68 karma

Hi!
I'm so confused about the strategy for elimination on MOR questions.

I eliminated b and d straight away reading 'positive'. I thought the answer choice should include words of 'certainty' due to 'we can be sure'. Is my elimination strategy too extreme? I usually do this on method of reasoning first eliminating explicitly wrong answers from several cues, but I think for this one was too extreme to just eliminate right away?

Besides, I usually separate 'quantitative' and 'qualitative' + overall structure cues, and match three kinds of cues to each answer choice, eliminate and confirm. Is this strategy okay?

Huge thanks in advance for someone who can advise me for this questions and overall strategy!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-70-section-4-question-17/

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2022 8313 karma

This one was best done via conditional logic mapping, which would have produced:

A (some) B → C

A (some) C

Then you just match the AC to that structure.

What's the difference in your mind between we can be positive, we can be sure, and we can be certain?

• 1230_sunny1230_sunny Member
    68 karma

I thought positive is slightly different from 'sure' as 'sure' equates 'must' whereas 'positive' means having some degree of certainty, which isn't must. I think I went too far! Thanks for comment:)

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@1230_sunny said:
    I thought positive is slightly different from 'sure' as 'sure' equates 'must' whereas 'positive' means having some degree of certainty, which isn't must. I think I went too far! Thanks for comment:)

I don't think I'd agree, but regardless you can assume the test won't require you to split hairs like that.

• KevinLuminateLSATKevinLuminateLSAT Alum Member
    983 karma

@1230_sunny I think "positive" is equivalent to "sure". See definition 1.C here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/positive