Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to do well on LG section on a first try?

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
edited May 2022 in General 677 karma

When I watch JY Ping's solution videos on LG section, I am able to memorize the game boards and be able to solve the questions in given time (foolproof method). However, when I take a PT timed, I get about only 7 questions correct in the entire LG section. I usually draw a game board/game boards that are missing a few key components or simply just get stuck being unable to draw a game board for that question set. Should I try to solve LG section on my own without watching JY Ping's video and only watch it when I cannot progress further with my current knowledge of solving an LG problem set?

I am only on PT8 right now but I don't want to just keep going through the PTs without being able to solve the LG section on my own. I would like to be able to draw my own game board/game boards without having to watch JY Ping's LG videos every time. Could anyone please share your insight?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

You just have to keep drilling the games. Do them over until you nail it (or just start remembering what the answers were), then put it away and take it out a few days later and do it again. Continue until you can run the game smoothly with no pauses or errors. Replace with new game and repeat. Adjust scale as your schedule allows... I ran a set of 4 games every day (usually about 12-20 individual reps for a completely new set of games), and cycled 5 separate sets of games. It's not enough to "get" the game watching the video or given enough time. You are trying to train your brain to see patterns and inferences more efficiently... you don't want to have to think about it or remember. This test is about making everything automatic. If its something you still have to recall, on a timed run you will forget to do it or waste too much time remembering. The more games you master, the more patterns you will be familiar with and the more likely you are to succeed on any give new game. Games are the easiest place to collect points, but what people leave out is that it never feels like it until after you've mastered it. Just have faith in the process and keep grinding... they eventually click.

• Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
    677 karma

@canihazJD said:
    You just have to keep drilling the games. Do them over until you nail it (or just start remembering what the answers were), then put it away and take it out a few days later and do it again. Continue until you can run the game smoothly with no pauses or errors. Replace with new game and repeat. Adjust scale as your schedule allows... I ran a set of 4 games every day (usually about 12-20 individual reps for a completely new set of games), and cycled 5 separate sets of games. It's not enough to "get" the game watching the video or given enough time. You are trying to train your brain to see patterns and inferences more efficiently... you don't want to have to think about it or remember. This test is about making everything automatic. If its something you still have to recall, on a timed run you will forget to do it or waste too much time remembering. The more games you master, the more patterns you will be familiar with and the more likely you are to succeed on any give new game. Games are the easiest place to collect points, but what people leave out is that it never feels like it until after you've mastered it. Just have faith in the process and keep grinding... they eventually click.

Awesome. Thank you sir