Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

158, Admitted Late in the Cycle

edited June 2022 in General 219 karma

Sharing my story as encouragement, as many others encouraged me when I read their words. I'm happy to share my news with this wonderful community.

I got rejected to the Dallas law school I hoped to attend this fall. I was disappointed, but for many reasons I applied very late (extra late - don't be me) in the cycle and received my rejection a few weeks ago. I was sad to be rejected in Dallas, but not too bothered. I planned to take the test again this summer, and apply next cycle. Or the next.

I'm a nontraditional student. I'm a former DC federal legislation and regulations lobbyist, 44 years old, and married with a very little girl. My husband is being transferred to another city, so we are moving in a few weeks.

There is a law school in the new city. LAST WEEK I responded to a generic email I got from that law school. I told them a little about me, said I was moving to the city, and asked for more information. I shared my 158 LSAT score, and that I plan to retake the test.

In fact, that 158 was such a disappointment to me! I genuinely enjoy the LSAT. I've had so much fun practicing for it, learning it, getting better at it. But during real time on test day, between my ADHD, high anxiety and weird hour long proctor problems, I scored 5 points lower than my practice tests! I did not think I'd be able to get in to a school with this score.

And yet...FIVE minutes after I hit send on that email to that law school, the assistant dean of admissions called me. She encouraged me to apply, even as I asked some very skeptical questions. It turns out that my 158 was competitive there, especially with my background. So, with her encouragement, I took a chance and submitted my application. This was LAST WEDNESDAY. She called me back before noon the next day. She informed me that the school received my application overnight, as it happened, in time for the admissions board meeting which was being held that very morning. They threw my application in with the rest, and the admissions board approved me! I was admitted to law school less than 12 hours after submitting a resume, as late as late can possibly be in the cycle. I will be sitting in a law school class starting August 22.

I've never heard of an admissions story like this before. As a person of faith, I believe this has happened for a reason. My prayers are prayers of gratitude. I also know that it would not have happened at all, if it had not been for committing myself to improvement on this exam, and seeking out the resources, support, and amazing community of 7Sage. Very unexpectedly, I'll now be a 1L in a class in Tulsa by August. Thanks to JY, my 7Sage study buddies, and the nonstop encouragement of our broader community here. Thanks to you all, and to everyone else - Keep at it! We will all absolutely get there.

Elizabeth, Taking on the Beast

Comments

• SLODHILL-1-1-1-1-1-1SLODHILL-1-1-1-1-1-1 Core Member
    120 karma

Wow, congrats!!!!! This is such an amazing story and I am so happy for you! You will kill law school and I agree that all things happen for a reason. The timing of your move was in line with everything else and it all worked out in the end!

Congrats again and thanks for sharing these encouraging words!

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited June 2022 1428 karma

@TakingOnTheBeast-1 Congratulations! We are so happy that we are a part of your LSAT journey!

Good luck with law school, you got this!

• FutureQlawyerFutureQlawyer Member
    44 karma

I hope you are going for free.