Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Professor asked me to write a LOR for myself

Arman115Arman115 Core Member
in General 93 karma

Even though I really want a LOR from this Professor, I feel like I'm far to busy with schoolwork and studying for the LSAT to sit down to learn how to write a LOR. But at the same time, I think he's asking me to write it because he is far to busy. I already have 4 other LORs from employers and other professors, is it worth it for me to stress out over this single LOR? Should I kindly ask him to write it or should I just give up on his letter entirely? The thing about this professor in specific is I've known him and kept in touch with him for about 4 years, so I feel that his LOR will shed light on our long-standing academic relationship. Any advice?

Comments

• butterstylebutterstyle Alum Member
    25 karma

This is a common practice in my experience. It provides a scaffold for your professor to draw from - specific stats/achievements/traits you want emphasized so they don't have to start completely from scratch. I'd recommend going for it. Those type of long relationships can lead to letters that carry significant weight. They can leap off the page! When I was asked to do this, I found a random template online and simply made some adjustments to fit me. Didn't take long at all. What I got back was a glowing recommendation that actually made me tear up! Best of luck to you.