Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

REQUIRED to report low GRE score, undermine high LSAT?

Monty1994Monty1994 Member
edited September 2022 in Law School Admissions 13 karma

Hi Everyone!

I scored a 171 on the August 2022 LSAT and am preparing my applications for this cycle. I really, really, REALLY want to attend Berkeley Law, and I am applying Early Decision. I have a graduate degree from an Ivy League, and I took the GRE a few years ago to get admitted to the graduate program. I was working full time and wasn't able to study very much, and I knew I didn't need a super high score for admission to the program. I scored in the 95 percentile on reading, the 53rd on writing, and got a dismal math score in the 23rd percentile. Math has always been my worst subject, and despite taking a ton of math including the entire calc sequence in undergrad for elective credit, I have never been good at math tests. I just found out that many schools including Berkeley REQUIRE any GRE score taken within the last 5 years to be reported. I'm very upset because I am already a splitter with a relatively low UGPA and I don't want any other points against me (also very annoyed I have to pay to send a GRE score I don't even want, in addition to all the other fees). It doesn't appear that GRE scores factor into the USNWR rankings and I imagine my LSAT score will still carry much more weight, but does anyone have insight about how admissions offices factor in GRE scores submitted along with an LSAT? I know I can write a letter of addendum explaining why the low score isn't indicative of academic performance, especially as I finished with a high GPA in my graduate program, but I just hate the stress of an extra variable that doesn't paint me in a very positive light. Any insights are appreciated!

Comments