Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Am I Doing Wrong on Logic Games?

ProtoLithicProtoLithic Core Member

Recently I've taken to honing my skills with Logic Games. I see people posting everywhere that LG is maybe the most difficult, but the easiest to improve on. I've been testing on LG between -17 to -11, with my best being -7.

I know these aren't necessarily the worst scores but paired with my other sections it's far from where I want it to be.

When I do a BR, I find that it takes me almost half of the recommended time to set up my diagram, yet I consistently take too long on the questions. I don't know what else I should be doing during that set-up portion of the game. I diagram the rules into a visual notation (even labeling each notation to the rule it represents), then I try to make inferences.

So what am I doing wrong? It's not like this is part of my unique process where I budget time differently. Am I not making enough inferences? Should I be doing something different when I make my master diagram? I'm open to any ideas or advice!

In the meantime, I plan to study with the PowerScore Logic Games Bible. I've heard good things about its influence on LG performance. Wish me luck!

Comments

• CynthiaaaaaaCynthiaaaaaa Member
    75 karma

I consistently score -2 to 0 mistakes on LG.

Don't do timed sections. Start with easier questions. Untimed. Read the stem, rules, then write down the rules, then reread the questions rules and double check with the way you "translated" them.

Then think whether you need to or can make scenarios. If you can, decide how you want to split the game board.

There are inferences that you need to catch BEFORE you go to the questions.

All the hard work MUST happen before you go to the questions. At least for games 2, 3, and 4.

Once you've built your scenarios, or a solid diagram and fully understand how each rule plays with the other ones, then you're ready to go to the questions.

If there's a single aspect of the game that you don't understand, stop. Think about it and if you still don't get it, go back to the lesson or look it up online and understand what it means and what you should do with it before you go to the questions.

As a practice, I would say just look at the question stems and the rules and make diagrams and skip the questions. Then double-check the diagram/scenarios you got with what BluePrint suggests.

There will always be inferences that you miss. Once you start to catch these, it's piece of cake.

• LaToyia BLaToyia B Member
    10 karma

I am in the same boat, right now I am down to -6 and trying my best to improve logic games. I have the Powerscore LG bible and workbook, so I plan to use those with 7sage to drill and improve. I have noticed that some of my mistakes are because I am misreading or do not look at the other answers, even though I am unsure of the game. I have to get better at the rules and my diagrams.

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    298 karma

I stopped trying to follow laid out "methods" and it really helped me out. For sequencing games simply remember to look out for repeating players in the rules, base deductions on highly restricted spots/players and for difficult games (last two of the section) don't get hung up on deductions, they are difficult because they require you to work through them as you go through the questions.

• 7Sage Tutors7Sage Tutors Yearly + Live Sage
    335 karma

Do more timed sections. Spend more time on your setups. For most games, you should already have the answers before you look at the questions. Remember that your job is to solve the system, not to merely draw a picture or translate rules. Each game is its own thing; you're going to need to improvise a solution for each one. Stay flexible and focus on putting the pieces together.