Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it lame to take community college classes?

BerserkeleyBerserkeley Alum Member
edited April 2023 in Law School Admissions 56 karma

Hi,
I am thinking of transferring out to a nearby community college to take paralegal related courses and maybe to boost my gpa before graduation. Would this be frowned upon by law school admission committees?

After one year, I will return to my university to graduate during summer as I will have only one course left.

Comments

• annie996annie996 Member
    6 karma

No

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

I did my associates at a community college and transferred to a university to do my bachelors. I also did one additional class at another university and had that course transferred over. For me, it was practical and efficient.

• EricB_LSATEricB_LSAT Member
    edited April 2023 10 karma

I have over 70 credits from Community Colleges, and well over 150 credits total as I almost had two bachelors degrees before finally finishing one. Overall, the community college credits were cheaper and helped boost my overall GPA on the CAS report as I had WF a few classes early on in college. I also believe that the CAS report from LSAC includes pretty much any course that they have a grade for so if you can boost your cumulative than do it.

I even heard that my Anatomy and Physiology course was harder at Community than University as a few people enrolled in Summer from a University who had dropped or failed it previously.

• chloemillar.bugchloemillar.bug Alum Member
    9 karma

Community college is epic

• dkblommedkblomme Core Member
    2 karma

Law schools only really care about the number on that GPA line. However, transferring out and back in may cause some funky stuff to happen with your transcripts. Make sure to check with your counselor to make sure your plan won't result in issues with graduation.