C+F - what exactly is disciplinary action?

soapsoapsoapsoapsoapsoap Core Member

A lot of schools list questions such as "have you ever had disciplinary actions/charges brought against you?" Does disciplinary action include inquiries?

Other schools specify that they're asking for "academic disciplinary actions/academic misconduct" so are academic actions included under all things disciplinary or do they differ from disciplinary actions?

I assume no matter the specifics an applicant should either call and ask the admissions office or just err on the side of caution and submit anything they think might apply.

Comments

• rdyoung12rdyoung12 Alum Member
    306 karma

I'm not an expert but it's not academic. It's like if you get a criminal citation from the police, the school will additionally open up an administrative discipline case against you to try and expel you according to its own rules. Or if you broke into a locked part of campus and the police caught you. Or broke the honor code of the school, etc.

You were put on academic probation for low grades? I don't think that is a disciplinary action.

• sr1541214sr1541214 Free Trial Member
    edited June 2023 4 karma

Hi guys
    Various actions done by a company or authority to address misconduct or transgressions of rules and regulations are referred to as disciplinary action. It helps to keep things in order, hold people accountable, and make sure that rules are followed.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Just err on the side of overdisclosure. You don’t want to be stuck trying to explain yourself to the bar.