Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the most effective way to diagram a rule like this?

lsathopefullsathopeful Alum Member
edited November 2013 in Logic Games 263 karma
"Vernon, Wendy and Zazi are all faster than Tai.
Wendy cannot be fastest, and there are no ties."

I'm especially interested in how to diagram the second sentence.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• lsatlsat1lsatlsat1 Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    assuming slow to fast on the chron: then I would do T which splits into two dotted lines, one going to WV and one going to WZ. (T> WVZ) ( T > WZV) (Sorry don't know how to do this on the comp)
    This means on the diagram so long as the other variables (e.g ones you didn't list) aren't ruled by W nor T, then you can place them accordingly. At least that's how I would diagram.
  • Rasheed N.Rasheed N. Free Trial Member
    edited November 2013 65 karma
    This gives you only four possibilities. I think I did this right, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fastest to slowest:
    V-W-Z-T
    V-Z-W-T
    Z-V-W-T
    Z-W-V-T

So basically:

V/Z-(W/Z/V)-(W/Z/V)-T
  • Steven CSteven C Free Trial Member
    38 karma
    >Wendy cannot be fastest
    I'd write this directly on the game board. If they were numbered 1 to 4, with 1 being the slowest, and 4 being the fastest, I'd write in a little W with a slash below it under 4. That indicates that 4 can't be the fastest. I'd also add in the helpful inference that 4 must be a V/Z. To be redundant you could also do a rule that says W4 with a slash through it.

Like this (forgive terrible Microsoft Paint Skills).
    http://imgur.com/8vEU271

> and there are no ties.
    I don't usually write down no doubling up type rules unless there is twist. If I have 4 open spots, 1-4, unless I draw 4 open spots above them I just assume it's one per spot.

And like the others have pointed out, once you've gotten that far it's easy to solve for all possibilities.

Are you enrolled in the course by any chance? If you are should review those sections, diagramming is covered in depth as are the different LG types. If you aren't, I highly recommend it. It's great, can't imagine anyone taking the LSAT without it!

• averydosteraverydoster Free Trial Member
    edited November 2013 3 karma
    I would just represent this rule through two quicker diagrams:

T - W or Z - V: (left to right:: slowest to fastest)

and

T - W or V - Z: (left to right:: slowest to fastest)

In either world, W can switch spots with only one other letter.