Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take the Oct test or push to Dec

Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
edited August 2015 in October 2015 LSAT 1650 karma
Hey Everyone,

Began studying for the LSAT March 1st 2015. Did the bibles and numerous PTs (about 17) in anticipation of the June 2015 test. My cold diagnostic was 148 but I was consistently PTing 158-162 (Most of PTs 19-28 and 62-71) when I decided to postpone until October. At that point, I studied much less from mid-May through mid-July because I had a solid grasp on fundamentals but knew it was important to save the later preptests that I accidentally burned so early.

Then I found 7sage.. This program has been awesome at renewing my confidence and giving me the tools to attack this test. The straightforward way that JY teaches is superior to powerscore. I'm 45% through the core curriculum and cruising (I study about 3 hours most days). I'm hoping to be done with it in mid-August and move on to taking 4 PTs per week right up until the test.

Do people think I have enough time to max out my score? My benchmark minimum is 166, but the ultimate goal is a 170. I'm prepared to go all in for October, but if it's not worth it I'll restructure and go December...although I may not have the luxury of a retake at that point.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @kconnolly said:
    move on to taking 4 PTs per week right up until the test.
    I think 4 is too many. 3 is a pretty hefty max in my experience. Either you will burn out, fail to properly BR, get demoralized by diminishing returns ... And most likely, a combination of all 3. You want to taper DOWN right before the test—not amp up.
    @kconnolly said:
    Do people think I have enough time to max out my score?
    I'll put it out there ... I do not. It sounds like you're rushing and setting yourself up for burnout. Your brain just won't be in peak condition, having gone at this proposed breakneck speed leading up to the test.
    @kconnolly said:
    if it's not worth it I'll restructure and go December
    Restructure. Finish course as you have described and then do 2 or a maximum of 3 PT's per week leading up to December. I hesitate to even recommend 3 at all.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I wouldn't recommend 3/4 prep tests either. Nicole is totally right. You won't have enough time to properly BR and then brush up on your fundamentals between your PTs.
  • kittyahmedkittyahmed Free Trial Member
    58 karma
    I can't stress enough how strongly I agree with the comments here. To improve meaningfully on the LSAT, you need time to digest the concepts and processes you're learning and for that you need resting periods. A schedule like you've proposed (I think) runs the risk of limiting your performance rather than maximizing it. I also think it's a good idea to not sacrifice targeted drills or individual sections and do nothing but PTs in the later stages. PTs are great for getting a sense of timing and for increasing stamina, but accuracy is a crucial factor and individual sections work just as well for that while still saving your brain from overload...
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    2-3 PTs per week with excellent BR (think 175+) is much better than 4 PTs per week and mediocre BR (<170). For now just focus on finishing the curriculum and taking the time to absorb everything. Prep with the urgency of an October test, with the knowledge that December is there as a backup plan. You only have until September 9th to change the test date and not lose money, so you probably won't be able to ascertain your skill set before then, but if you're like me and leave everything to the last minute, then pretending you're taking it in October should at least keep that fire burning inside you.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Great advice.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Everyone,

Thanks for the great advice. Helps a lot to take a step back from my LSAT world and get some unbiased opinions.

Only question though: wouldn't taking the Dec test and applying later put me at a noticeable disadvantage compared to applying right after getting back a *hopefully* satisfying Oct score? Say 167 in October vs a 170 in December
    8021 karma
    No... December is not late... February/March is late... 170 might be above a 75th and a 167 is at 25th so there is a big difference there... 167 in October might get the app held or pushed back until Janury when everyone can read it anyways...
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    @Pacifico, I really appreciate the perspective. Going to see how I fare over the next few weeks and adjust my plan accordingly.

Thanks again to all other commenters
    8021 karma
    Take GU for example... They're at 163/168/169 this year so a 167 would be below their median but a 170 would be above their 75th... So that is the difference between a probable ding and a possible admit (at least a wait list) depending on other factors of course...
    7965 karma
    @kittyahmed said:
    A schedule like you've proposed (I think) runs the risk of limiting your performance rather than maximizing it.
    VERY well put.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    If you have to ask, December. This test is about confidence.
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    If you have to ask, December. This test is about confidence.
    TRUTH BOMB.

• bedneydobedneydo Alum Member
    2 karma
    This has been extremely helpful for me. Just started studying in July and thought I'd have enough time to be ready for the October exam, but it's turning out to be more challenging than I orginally thought. I'm to the Boston area and plan to apply to BU, BC and HU, but if I'm not in the high 160's or low 170's I don't want to take October. Thanks everyone.
  • MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
    234 karma
    "If all you dream about during practice is the water break, you'll never be thirsty enough to win." - Myself, just now