Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm in, now what?

Student76Student76 Alum Member
in General 324 karma
7Sage has been a really great resource and community for all of my LSAT prep, but now I'm in, and I'm feeling lost. I start in the next few weeks. I was taking things one step at a time, never jumping too far ahead in the admissions process. So, until June, my only focus was LSAT studying. I started looking for 1L advice when I thought law school might actually be a realistic possibility after the June test. I have found so much conflicting information. Some people who recommend buying every 1L support book possible and others (mostly people I know) who went in completely blind and still graduated in the top 10% of their class. I have taken some of Larry's book recommendations, I have been reading Planet Law School (which recommends a million other support materials), Glannon on Civ Pro, and Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning. I don't want to overwhelm myself by buying and reading every book ever written for 1L's (nor do I even have the time), but I also don't feel comfortable walking in without knowing exactly what to expect. I've been reading through Larry's Law School Master but it's so new it doesn't offer what 7Sage has in terms of community and consistency. I would love any advice!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    As much as large swaths of TLS are a wasteland, I would highly recommend finding a thread about your school where students and alumni talk about their experiences and ask them there. I'm sure you'll still get a variety of opinions on what approach to take, but at least you'll have more of an idea of what to expect and I don't think most people here could give you an accurate picture of what your school is like since this community is largely pre-LSAT or at least pre-applications. My opinion is that if you needed to do anything prior to law school to be successful, then the law school would tell you, but since they don't do that I think you just need to have the self awareness to know what would work best for you. Law School Prep is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition for success in law school, so why bother potentially wasting your time studying now when you could be enjoying your last few weeks of freedom?
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    @Pacifico, I try to avoid TLS as much as possible but I will check it out. All of these books say the professors will try to keep key information from you hoping that you will intuitively know to look for what you don't even know exists. So, I'm not sure that the school would give me the tools ahead of time. It seems like that's part of the 1L experience, but I only have books and websites to rely on. I know it's largely LSAT prep here, but I was hoping for previous 7sagers who are now in school or administrators who could give what helps/helped them. The weeks of "freedom" are already gone as I have begun my first class readings and when I said "the next few weeks", it would have been more accurate to say a week...