Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it reasonable to complete only 3/4 passages for RC?

GalateaGalatea Core Member
edited September 2023 in Reading Comprehension 92 karma

I've started taking practice tests recently. I'm not a super fast reader so I have only been able to complete three of the four passages and their questions so far.

Do you focus on completing all of them? Or do you just accept that you won't be able to get through it all and just focus on getting the highest accuracy on 3 of them?

If I don't get around to answering all the questions, I just pick a letter of the day for the unanswered questions.

RC strategies
  1. Do you have enough time to complete all 4 RC passages and their questions?51 votes
    1. Yes
      50.98%
    2. No
      49.02%
  2. Are you preping to do 100% of RC, or best accuracy across 3 passages?51 votes
    1. 100% completion
      72.55%
    2. 3/4 passages with highest accuracy possible
      27.45%

Comments

• rdyoung12rdyoung12 Alum Member
    306 karma

Personally I just try to more skim RC and not read every line.

• bradk2sobradk2so Alum Member
    46 karma

I'm dealing with the same situation. My plan is to try a few PTs where I truly skim with a low-res understanding and go with my gut so that I can get through all 4 sections. I'd recommend experimenting with both routes and see how well you can get by with just your intuition.

• GalateaGalatea Core Member
    92 karma

@rdyoung12 said:

Would you mind sharing your score? I'm just trying to see if you were able to skim and still do decently. If not, no worries!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited September 2023 797 karma

Jacob,

I started at a -12 per RC section, and I now score in the -3 to -5 range, so I am by no means perfect and others might disagree, but I'd highly advise against only focusing on three passages. This method trains you to guess on around 1/4 of the questions, which isn't good by itself, but on top of that, you might not get every question right on the three passages you focus on either. Assuming the best case scenario (you get all questions correct on the three passages you focus on, and guess on the last one and get 20-40 percent right, this still leaves you at a ceiling of -6 to -5. Why cap your ceiling when you instead can train for a sub -6 and get it more reliably?

I would focus on doing sections in which you do 4 passages to completion, and lower the time once you start being able to finish quicker, eventually getting to 35 minutes for 4 passages.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited September 2023 797 karma

It is also worth noting too that I am not a fast reader either. I started at around 5 min per passage, and now spend around 3:30 min per passage. It gets easier with practice, especially when you set time limits for yourself. I would only allow myself to spend 4ish min per passage while I was training, and I started to get used to the timing once I drilled more. I'd also use BR religiously and justify every answer I chose during timed conditions, and I kept track of which answers I chose that were wrong due to time or misunderstanding.

• collegeinthewoodscollegeinthewoods Alum Member
    26 karma

a good strategy I have found when you’re in a time crunch, is saving the comparative passage for last, make sure you have at least 5 minutes remaining, read passage A and quickly go through all the questions and eliminate answer choices or answer all the questions you can, then with a minute or two left skim B and confirm the remaining answer choices with the additional info. It’s by no means full proof, but by only reading the first passage in detail, you can answer usually 2 to 4 questions and eliminate half the answers for the others.
    Hope that’s helpful!

• GalateaGalatea Core Member
    92 karma

@rdyoung12 said:

Would you mind sharing your score? I'> @AlexgLSAT said:

Jacob,

I started at a -12 per RC section, and I now score in the -3 to -5 range, so I am by no means perfect and others might disagree, but I'd highly advise against only focusing on three passages. This method trains you to guess on around 1/4 of the questions, which isn't good by itself, but on top of that, you might not get every question right on the three passages you focus on either. Assuming the best case scenario (you get all questions correct on the three passages you focus on, and guess on the last one and get 20-40 percent right, this still leaves you at a ceiling of -6 to -5. Why cap your ceiling when you instead can train for a sub -6 and get it more reliably?

I would focus on doing sections in which you do 4 passages to completion, and lower the time once you start being able to finish quicker, eventually getting to 35 minutes for 4 passages.

That makes sense. My issue is not being a fast reader, over-analyzing things on technicalities, and being scheduled for the Oct 16 LSAT haha. So yeah, I don't think there is enough time for me to improve my reading speed/comprehension to the point where I can comfortably do all 4 passages and questions.