Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does work experience matter

I been struggling to find a job and I been out of work for almost a year. Due to this will this hinder me from getting into law school even if my lsat and gpa is good? or will other factors play a role such as past jobs, extracurricular activities, personal statement, internship etc? Cause someone told me I wont get into a law school if I dont have a job :(

Comments

• focusandbreathe333focusandbreathe333 Alum Member
    24 karma

It's definitely not true that you won't get into law school if you don't have a job. If you have over a year's gap they'd expect an addendum to explain what you're doing, but you could also try to incorporate that somewhere in your application essays.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited October 2023 797 karma

I don't think its as concrete as "no job, no law school" but I definitely think you need to be doing something during your time or have a reason for doing nothing... long breaks with no addendum or mention in your personal statement can hurt your application.

• Legallyblack-2Legallyblack-2 Alum Member
    245 karma

@AlexgLSAT said:
    I don't think its as concrete as "no job, no law school" but I definitely think you need to be doing something during your time or have a reason for doing nothing... long breaks with no addendum or mention in your personal statement can hurt your application.

Thank you! Yes I am currently retaking the lsat. I been studying for this whole year. I also completed an internship at the DA office this summer as well! I am including my reasons in my diversity statement!

• Legallyblack-2Legallyblack-2 Alum Member
    245 karma

@focusandbreathe333 said:
    It's definitely not true that you won't get into law school if you don't have a job. If you have over a year's gap they'd expect an addendum to explain what you're doing, but you could also try to incorporate that somewhere in your application essays.

Thank you! Yes I am incorporating this into my diversity statement!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited October 2023 797 karma

@"Legallyblack-2" said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

Thank you! Yes I am currently retaking the lsat. I been studying for this whole year. I also completed an internship at the DA office this summer as well! I am including my reasons in my diversity statement!

Sounds great! Looks like you're all set then.

• robertsmithh978robertsmithh978 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in my mind.