Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Explain Two Cancelled LSAT Scores in an Addendum

Hello! I am having a lot of difficulty writing my addendum to explain my two LSAT score cancellations. The truth is, I took the LSAT in January well before I felt prepared and cancelled that score, and then I retook it in September but panicked on the exam and performed really poorly... but I have no idea how to spin that in a compelling way and not come across like I crack under pressure... I retook the exam in October, which will be the score I'm using for my applications. Any advice on what to say in my addendum would be greatly appreciated.

**For context, I'd attended an NYU Law info session and an admissions officer said they "prefer a short addendum about multiple score cancellations." So I've been told they want it, I just have no idea what to write or how to word it...

Comments

• LiveLoveLSATLiveLoveLSAT Live Member
    33 karma

I would like information on this too!

• ellemkayellemkay Core Member
    36 karma

what did you get on your exams

• wannabe_ellewoodswannabe_ellewoods Alum Member
    41 karma

I cancelled the first two scores (160 and 162) and am waiting on my October LSAT. My PT's were mid 160s

• ishaashirinishaashirin Core Member
    8 karma

Wait is 160-165 not considered a good score?I thought top scorers got 170 (im not from US/Canada so just wanted some info) thanks!

• wannabe_ellewoodswannabe_ellewoods Alum Member
    41 karma

I regret cancelling my first score (162) but was advised to cancel my 160 too because I was PTing 5+ points higher on average and because the average for all the schools I want to go to are 170-176. So while 160-165 is definitely a great score for some schools, it's well below the average of the schools I'm hoping to get into. Hope that helps!

• Elaf Al-MusawiElaf Al-Musawi Alum Member
    edited October 2023 39 karma

I'm not an expert on the subject. But you can write about your score goal and make that the reason for cancellation, and you can also say that you're aiming to apply to a specific school and you want to have the best score that fits its requirements.

• fswillis1fswillis1 Live Member
    9 karma

I agree with @"Elaf Al-Musawi". Recommend stating that you cancelled the two previous LSAT scores of 160 and 162, respectively, based on the advice of [fill in the blank]. You felt the scores did not align with your goal range of [fill in the blank] and did not reflect your potential. Maybe add something about regretting the decision but believed it to be the best decision at the time. Just a suggestion.

• lsatdestroyer1357lsatdestroyer1357 Live Member
    5 karma

You can still post your scores on the application so the fact that you cancelled them won't matter. I cancelled a score and still posted my original score.