Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling with LSAT score

aislangyori2002aislangyori2002 Core Member
edited October 2023 in General 65 karma

Hello, I have been studying for a little over a year for the exam my first ever practice test was 130 and over time, I have gotten myself to score consistently at 150, but I can't seem to get above that no matter how much I study or practice. Logic games were my worst section, so I am waiting till August to write. Logical reasoning is my best section and I usually get about 15-18 correct but I have been seeing fluctuations in those scores when I do practice test sections on powerscore. My reading comprehension, I get anywhere from 12-16 usually correct so it's not terrible, but there's room for improvement in both of these sections. I have already done private tutoring through 7sage it was very expensive and did not improve my score. I am starting to feel a bit helpless and feel like I have improved to my maximum potential on this exam and I need some advice.I try and study about ten hours a week doing drills and reading my books I always blind review and watch the explanation videos.I have been staying away from practice tests mainly doing drills and timed sections

Comments

• TRAPPEDUNDERLSATTRAPPEDUNDERLSAT Core Member
    114 karma

Would need to know what your studying look like and how much you study

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    797 karma

^ Agreed. There is no way for people to help without sufficient knowledge of your study habits and review methods.

• aislangyori2002aislangyori2002 Core Member
    65 karma

I just bought all the power score books and workbooks and just started the logical reasoning books. Typically what I do is in a day I will do about 5-10 of my worst types of logical reasoning questions usually must be true or most strongly supported. Then what I do is create drills for LR just taking 23-24 questions I have never done before and create a practice section with the regular 35-minute time period. I also will do 1-2 practice test sections on Powerscore which is also 35-minute sections. After using seven sage materials I reviewed all the explanation videos for reading comp and LR I did the same process for reading comp as well

• yaguilar9yaguilar9 Live Member
    52 karma

I think its worth doing some untimed work. I usually drill questions I am having difficulty with and spend time really understanding the stimulus by putting it in my own words or talking out loud. Then, I look at each AC and highlight where each AC goes wrong and pick the right answer. I think most of the learning happens in untimed work, so it's good to do that for a couple days out of the week.

• aislangyori2002aislangyori2002 Core Member
    65 karma

I just bought all the power score books and workbooks and just started the logical reasoning books. Typically what I do is in a day I will do about 5-10 of my worst types of logical reasoning questions usually must be true or most strongly supported. Then what I do is create drills for LR just taking 23-24 questions I have never done before and create a practice section with the regular 35-minute time period. I also will do 1-2 practice test sections on Powerscore which is also 35-minute sections. After using seven sage materials I review all the explanation videos for reading comp and LR I do the same process for reading comp.

• jennnxxpjennnxxp Core Member
    54 karma

I don't know what your study habits are. Nonetheless, my suggestion is to slow down. Practice untimed questions. Stop taking practice tests right now! If you are not understanding the questions, speed doesn't matter! You're going to get it wrong anyway. Pull apart the LR passages and RC passages line by line. Cite evidence why each answer is wrong or right. Note any and all evidence supporting your thinking. Make it your goal to understand each question and passage, no matter how long it takes. Only when you've completely exhausted the question and have understood it, do you watch the explanation video and check your answer. You've made great improvement, and don't think that you've reached your max. score because I'm sure you haven't. You just need to approach this from a very different perspective and again... slow down!

• Ultra_Instinct_LSATUltra_Instinct_LSAT Live Member
    128 karma

Progress will come, stay consistent, and don't give up. Ohh and everything else that's been said above. It's a slow process.

• joshua941019joshua941019 Core Member
    edited April 29 42 karma

Do untimed sections and when you get questions wrong, work on them until you are persuaded why you got it wrong and why the right answers are right. If you get stuck too long, then maybe skip that for the moment and try again next time.

I’m not a high scorer myself but I started with 142 and I do untimed sections. My untimed tests are 160+
    For reading comprehension, I type the entire passage on a notepad and as I type them down I try to understand what’s happening.

Also, i think it all depends on how many PTs you’ve done. Once you cycle through like 100 PTs, you will start to see patterns as in you will see what this test expects of you, and for RC specifically, you will see how the passage flows and see the main point and basic structure.

• missjurisdocmissjurisdoc Live Member
    660 karma

@joshua941019 im gonna try out this retype passage technique that sounds interesting