Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR'ing at 180. Testing at 163. How can I get faster? How much faster?

splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
in General 340 karma
Hi,

For the second time in a row now I've BR'd 180 (missed one, still 180...) and have timed scores of 165 and 163. In other words, I can figure out the right answers... I just can't do it in nearly enough time. Leaving 4 or 5 bubbles blank per section is pretty disastrous to one's score but I've been going for accuracy over speed. Will the speed eventually come? I've only done 5 prep tests so far. I'm starting to worry though because it "feels" like I'm maxing out my possible pace.

Thanks much.

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 7468 karma
    @splitterhopeful Dude, that’s awesome! And in 5PTs?! What’s you’re breakdown of wrong answers? Evenly distributed? Or all LG?
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Wow...that's damn impressive. Answer DHA's question!
  • splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    Thanks, man. But it's all for naught because I can't seem to finish anything but the very easiest LR sections. Overall I usually miss 1-2 per section while timed from "pushing" and maybe 2-7 incomplete. It's spread out fairly evenly although LR is my best because I leave fewer incomplete.

Also, I've gone through JY's video lectures so it's not like the 5 PT's are all I've done.
  • splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    Thanks. I don't feel like it's impressive because it's a timed test. :/ I really need a 170+ for my admissions goals. And to be honest, I hate taking PT's, but if that's the only way to build speed I guess that's what I'll have to do. :)
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @splitterhopeful You have to understand what you've been able to accomplish with 5 PT's is quite impressive. To get to your level of expectation, it's simply gonna take more time to really acclimate yourself to the nuances of the LSAT. It's all heuristics at this point.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 7468 karma
    @splitterhopeful I think you lack perspective. You’re in a very good place 5 PTs in after doing the curriculum. You clearly understand your fundamentals. You just need to get your processing time up. Practicing timed tests, with BR will help with that.

In the meantime, I’d advise a timing strategy until your processing speed comes up. Start drilling (any questions, maybe the Difficult Questions packet from Cambridge https://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/logical-reasoning/ all the way at the bottom) with a timer set a 1:20. No matter where you are in the problem, once the timer goes off, circle it and move on. You'll want to continue drilling in between PTs until you develop an internal clock of what 1:20 feels like. That way you guarantee that you can see every question. And many times, when you come back to questions you circled, you might see it in a new light and see the answer.

Don’t just take my word for it. I got this from watch JY Ping. When you get to PT 69, watch JY take down the LR sections. Almost every time he gets to 1:20 and hasn’t nailed down an answer, he circles it and moves on.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Just keep practicing and keep PT'ing! Your speed will come as you get more familiar with the test. Also, get in the habit of predicting answers after you diagnose the flaw. This skill will really help to improve your speed once you get it down pat. Good work so far! Just keep it goin now.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    5 PTs is nothing... And if you're making 0 confidence errors then you're way ahead of the game. If after 10-20 PTs it is not getting any better then come back and talk to us but for now you are in a great spot. Just get out of your head about it and keep up the good work.
  • LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
    180 karma
    i struggle with a similar issue - im doing sessions slightly over 35 (started at 45) trying to get a perfect score, and stepping down the practice questions 1-2 minutes each couple section
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The key to finishing on time and eventually finishing with extra time is throwing the quest for perfection out the window... Less than 50 people get 180s every year and I'm sure half of those people did not get a perfect raw score since a 180 is still possible even with 2 wrong in some cases. Half the T14 has a 170 or below median now so there is really no need for a 180. You get faster by taking positive control of your testing experience. Don't waste 4-5 minutes on the first time through a question in the teens only to miss out on even seeing the last 4-5 questions. You inevitably will get questions wrong, just make sure they aren't ones you invested too much time in up front at the expense of easy questions. As Olmec would say, "the choice is yours, and yours alone."
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    A 180 legit BR is insane... I would recommend just taking a lot of tests and familiarizing yourself with question types. You have the ability to get yourself an elite score in due time