Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

~2 weeks left!

madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
edited November 2013 in December 2013 LSAT 259 karma
Hey guys,
Just wondering what people think about the final 2 week stretch. How much should someone study during this time? I definitely want to get in a couple PTs over thanksgiving break. My latest and highest score was 165, I've slowly been creeping up through the 160s and I'd like to keep going (goal is 170). But I also don't want to break the trend and then get nerves. Suggestions?

Comments

• cloy26260cloy26260 Alum Member
    edited November 2013 46 karma
    Is it realistic to expect gains until test day?? My scores have been stagnant despite my increase in volume/depth of studying. I'm stuck in the mid 150s (and have been since before the Oct test... It's incredibly disheartening.)

To answer your question: PTs every wed/sat and reviewing/focused study days in between.
  • Rob SlipkovichRob Slipkovich Free Trial Member
    33 karma
    Madeleine,

I would focus on the more recent tests prior to December administration. If you spot errors after reviewing, it will most likely benefit your test day outcome compared to taking an older PT.

Cloy,

I feel the same. However, you might need to break habits that you formed while preparing. I have often overlooked minor wording details in the curve breaker questions and have noticed a slight increase on PT scores when focusing on my errors. Keep up the PTs and I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • Litian.ChenLitian.Chen Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    third time taker here....chill like an ice pack...

i feel like people should always retake...it gives you a peaceful mindset...once you get to that mode, you will take the LSAT in test center just as you take a PT at home/lib, you are good to go.
  • KatherineKatherine Alum Member
    136 karma
    Hi Litian,

I agree that as someone taking the test (once again), I don't feel quite as nervous as before.

However, I would like to say to all first-time test takers out there considering the December 2013 LSAT...if you're on the fence about whether to take it or not and you know that you have time to keep studying and improve, there is nothing wrong with postponing! Just ask for help and be realistic. It's always better to have 1 good score, than a few not-so-hot ones, followed by a great one.

In short, I wish I found 7Sage sooner. Hindsight = 20/20
  • AJ LAJ L Free Trial Member
    24 karma
    I feel completely the same way. If you are not ready and do not have to take it this year or apply this year, don't do it. I regret taking it last year when I did so poorly. And I wish I had found 7sage so much sooner!

I am also still scoring 155-160 even after having studied for a year now. What to do the next 2.5 weeks? I am going to take the rest of the PT 60s and review. I believe there is still time! I only feel more confident and get better with each test and review. I don't believe this is like other tests where cramming and memorizing at the last minute won't help. Continuous practice AND REVIEW helps. It is KEY to review, sometimes I just let practice tests sit there and am afraid to grade them.
  • KayelleLKayelleL Member
    10 karma
    A J L,

I can definitely relate to you when it comes to marking the exams. I guess I'm wasting time by just doing the exams and not reviewing them right away because I'm too scared to see my mark. Now I'm wondering how much I'll actually be able to improve with just two weeks left. I've already handed my applications in for some schools (in Canada) so I can't really back out of writing the upcoming exam now unfortunately.
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    259 karma
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'm sticking to 2 things: recent PTs and reading comp. I took another test and scored a 164 (wasn't feeling great), and my reading comp is what's hurting my score. If I invest 8 more hours to just practice reading comp- especially TIMING- I think I can do a little better.
  • courtneydkarascourtneydkaras Alum Member
    17 karma
    I'm in the same boat as you Kimmi...first time test taker in December and I already applied to Canadian schools. I work full time so I'm going to do a preptest a day on my days off, plus review and videos on here those days. The days in between I'm going to do individual sections, my time is good on RC and LR but I'm still clocking in pretty late with the logic games.

Good luck to all writing in December! We're all in this together.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Madeleine..stuck in same boat as you...score ranges from 160 to 166 - not feeling great either ...but there's still time to improve...my problem s games and there's no shortcut for that but practice so that is what I'm going to do...as for reading comp, this worked for me...I use the first 30 seconds to count the number of questions in each passage and then I do the passages in descending order as far as the number of questions are concerned i.e. from 8 to 7 to 6 to 5 ..also if there is a tie between a comparative passage and one which is straight forward, I do the straightforward one...this means that I'm left with a 5 question passage and 5 to 7 minutes in the end...often this is an advantage as a 5 question passage is also the easiest of the lot..I get all 5 done most on the time but if not, I guess on the last 2-3. Maybe this helps...best of luck!!!
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    259 karma
    I just took PT 70 and I got a 162. The initial feeling was heartbreak. But after sitting quietly for several minutes, and giving it some thought, I think I'm just pushing too hard, I tried to squeeze the PT in between a 2 hour class and an important meeting/ impending final due tomorrow. I think it's expected that I'd lose three points- my brain just didn't feel 'on'- can anyone else relate to that?

. That phrase from elementary school keeps floating into my head - "just do your best."
    3438 karma
    I think the best thing to do is relax...just chill...its not the end of the world and there are plenty of LSAT administrations after this...most likely you will do just fine!!! Have faith...and a milkshake or three!!!
    3438 karma
    if it helps I'm still practicing games ...got a 166 on my last test...pt 64 with a -11 on games...not a nice feeling either...but I'm going to give it my best and then not think about it...if worst comes to worst I'll retake in June...one year in the grand scheme of things is not much!!!
  • DaisyyyyyDaisyyyyy Free Trial Member
    53 karma
    hi madeleine, I felt bad for my pt70 as well….and i feel the anxiety is growing as the test is approaching…but I am glad that I am here on the same boat with you guys. I have been studying alone myself in Singapore here and feel lucky to have met you all!