Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are my chances? Non-Traditional App

cdot9000cdot9000 Live Member
edited January 26 in Law School Admissions 37 karma

Hey everyone! I am aiming for a T14 & feel as though my GPA may be lacking / need to be a splitter. To give some background, I graduated in Spring 2021 with a Bachelors in Science & a minor in Chemistry, my CAS GPA came out to a 3.62 - I am a Teach for America Alumni, currently teaching my 3rd year of Chemistry, Forensics & Advanced Forensic Psychology in the Bronx. I have a Master of Art in Teaching and graduated dean's list with a 4.0 (although I know schools don't care much for grad). I am about a month into studying but have not done a diagnostic (I know I know I will soon) so I do not have a score, but I am aiming to break 170 like most. I would not be super disappointed with 165+ either.

I guess my main question is, does my holistic application out weigh my lower GPA (in regard to T14 percentiles) or do I truly need to be a competitive splitter & break that 170 (& not test until I am scoring there)? My goal school is NYU on the next application cycle, especially since I already live in the city - I am not too concerned about scholarship money either.

Comments

• damaga0728damaga0728 Live Member
    30 karma

It's probably best to look at LSD data. You should definitely take a diagnostic soon though because logic games is no longer going to be a part of the test in August 2024.

• alexaleknazalexaleknaz Live Member
    72 karma

Just wanted to make a comment on this part of your post:

I have a Master of Art in Teaching and graduated dean's list with a 4.0 (although I know schools don't care much for grad).

Your graduate GPA itself doesn't factor into your application, but to have that accomplishment along with all the work experience in teaching you have under your belt will help you stand out considerably when applying. If you can write personal statements that reflect your unwavering interest in education and particularly educational law, I think you'll be golden from a holistic standpoint

• chriscampbell7687chriscampbell7687 Core Member
    68 karma

Apologies for being blunt, but you are at a significant disadvantage if your LSAT score is below the school's median given your GPA. In the case of NYU, that means at least a 172. Your "softs" (everything non-GPA/LSAT) seem great, but even an LSAT of 170 gives you an incredibly small chance of being accepted (~5% I'd say). Looking at Law School Data website, there were only two people accepted with a 170 or lower (with a GPA ~3.6) in the 2022-23 cycle. This increased by only three people if we moved the LSAT score to 172.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't try your best or not apply! Your softs are great (T3/T2), and law schools seem to increasingly favor Non-Traditional students over KJD's (though this can vary from school to school). With some great essays accompanying a good LSAT, plus your professional experience in non-legal roles, you'll definitely have some amazing result!

• il-legally-brunetteil-legally-brunette Live Member
    270 karma

Just want to add that you should def be taking a diagnostic before studying. It will make studying much easier when you experience the actual test and know what the sections are, etc. I would do that asap!! Good luck!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited January 31 802 karma

If you want NYU with your GPA, I would try to shoot for their median, which is 172. If you can get a 174+ it would be optimal since you'll be at/above their 75th. Once you get your score, spend lots of time on your supplemental essays and apply through ED since scholarship money is not a factor. Just getting a 170 in this case may not be enough to move the needle on your app.

It is also worth noting that people get in below both medians, but it is very unlikely and I would not bank on it. I would do everything you can to give yourself the best shot with your LSAT.